Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mothers Day! What a wonderful day to celebrate! I am so thrilled that I survived to spend another mother’s day with my children and especially with the greatest of all mothers, my mom. She is an incredible example of a mother and of a courageous and strong woman. I am so proud to be her daughter. She has been a wonderful example to me my entire life. I have to say I have definitely fallen short in a lot of things in my life, but she has always been there to pick me back up and set me on the right direction again. There are a lot of things I wish I could go back and change, especially in my parenting, but my mom has always been there encouraging me, wanting the best for me and my kids, even when I was too stubborn to listen or too in denial to see the mistakes I was making. Mom and grandma and great grandma, she is an inspiration. We love her more than words can say.

Mothering is a tough job. I remember having my children and I don’t think at the time I had any idea the journey that these little human beings would take me on. I know some people have kids and are overwhelmed by the breadth of the responsibility, but not me, I was clueless. I held my first born son in my arms and just felt the joy of being a mom. I wasn’t worried about tomorrow, I was just happy. I should have been more scared, more worried, for mothering is a job that comes without instructions or guidelines. All one can do is try the best they can, and many times, that isn’t even good enough. We are such flawed humans that we try, we fail, we stumble, we fall, and then do what we can to make it all up to the ones we love. My kids both grown, I look back now and there are countless things that I wish I could go back and redo. Fights I wish I never had, and some I wish I did. Lines that were drawn in the sand that were washed away, and some that should have been drawn in concrete. But at the time I did the best I could with what I had within me and around me. I think we want to be perfect parents. We see other parents and wonder, why can’t I be like them? But we are who we are. God gave us the children we have and He has a plan for us and for them, and the plan was drawn before we were ever born. I was meant to be Houston and Peyton’s mom, for better or for worse. Regardless of my actions, or inactions, I loved them the best I could and have endeavored to set them in the right direction. The rest is up to them. I will be here as long as God’s grace allows to help them where I can, to guide, to counsel, and always, to love. Unconditionally. No matter what they do. That is the greatest beauty of motherhood. The love. It goes so deep in your heart that the end can never be found, it is an endless and enduring love. Praise God for a mother’s love.

Yesterday was prom. We had a rocky start to our day. Peyton’s makeup didn’t go exactly as she had wanted, and her hair didn’t turn out the way she had envisioned, then me, not being a seamstress, didn’t sew the hooks on her dress right, which resulted in a huge meltdown… Behind the tears was the frustration of every female diva who wanted everything perfect coupled with the knowledge that her boyfriend, Mason, was not the one taking her to prom and that he would be leaving in just a few short days to go back to Canada for the summer. I probably didn’t say the right things, but I tried the best I could. Grandma came to the rescue and fixed the dress (we should have given it to her to begin with) and by the time picture hour was upon us, she was dressed and looking like the absolutely beautiful young woman that she has grown up to be. The hockey widows went with their high school dates to the prom and then went to see their hockey boyfriends after the dance was all over. It’s a tough time for the girls; the young men they have spent all their spare time with are leaving. But for Peyton, she will be going to Canada for a few weeks this summer and then the Mason will be back in August. They endured the separation last summer, I am sure they will survive another one to come. But behind it all, was the perfect young lady, in the perfect dress. The most beautiful girl I have ever seen.

Well I’m off to enjoy my day. To all you moms out there, enjoy yours, you have earned it! For those of you who are not mom’s; celebrate the mom’s in your life. They are truly to be treasured.