Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Power of the Sea

I have enjoyed watching the ocean waves breach the shoreline. As the tide goes out, I imagine it taking away the sorrow and the pain of the last year. The waves drown out the sounds of mourning for the days that have been lost and the seagulls screech their regret. I watch and wait, for I know that the tide will come in and bring with it my new life, my future, my hope for tomorrow. The sea soothes my soul and allows me space to breathe, to remember, to imagine a better place than I have today. I can dream at the beach. I can let go of the memories that haunt me and replace them with all the possibilities that life has to offer. I look at the ocean and see an endless palate of water, its surface void of any content, but underneath it is teaming with life and expectations. Not unlike my future. It is a blank slate, just waiting to be filled with the brilliant colors of friendship, family, smiles, laughter; the radiant colors of life. I just have to find the courage to step in, letting the water take away all the pain of yesterday, and allow myself to be filled with the prospect of beautiful tomorrows.

The sun is shining today. It sparkles and glimmers off the water, dancing and shimmering like gemstones under a spotlight. It allows me to see what is out there, illuminating my thoughts and enlightening my dreams. I can wish again. My hopes and desires can come alive. For I know in my heart and my soul that tomorrow is real and I am going to be here to enjoy it. The cancer is gone, washed away in the waves of the sea, and the tide has brought with it the health of a new beginning. I can start all over again; I have been given a new lease on life, with a new perspective. My dreams can be made real; my future can be all that I want it to be. Whatever is meant to be, then it’s up to me to make it so. I am my own reality.

It has been a perfect week. Tina and I have enjoyed each others company, celebrated our friendship and our love for life. We understand each other and respect our individual opinions and points of view. Tina encourages me to try harder, believe in the unconquerable, consider all the possibilities and have faith in myself. She pushes me to think outside of my little box, and washes away any doubts I might have for expectations of my future. She has walked through this disease with me twice, both times with her unflappable attitude of what will be will be, this is happening for a reason, what can I learn from this challenge. For if I have learned, if I have grown, if I have changed for the better, this has not all been in vain, this time was not foolishly spent or wasted days, they were days of testing my courage, of trying my strength, and I achieved greatness in my life when I walked successfully to the other side.

So I will begin again. I have my memories, I have my future, but most importantly, I have today. And today is full of possibilities, it can be any day that I want it to be. Like the endless sea, my life is complete with the prospect of so many todays, each one ready to be filled with all the colors of my soul.