Sunday, April 18, 2010

Better Every Day!

Every day is an improvement over the last. I really have to watch myself, to try not to overdo it with my newfound health. When I wake up in the morning my limbs still ache and I have to take medication to chase the terrible pain away, but once I’m up and around, have my breakfast, I feel better. I make a mental list of all the things I’d like to accomplish that day and might be lucky if I make it through two items before I have to lay down exhausted on the couch, my body aching, unable to do anything more the rest of the day. It is so frustrating. I want so much to be well, to be healthy again, to feel good. To spend all day outside working in the sunshine, to be at my office working an eight hour day followed by cooking dinner for me and my family. To be able to walk my dogs as far as I want, watching them run in the sun and play in the water. I know I just have to be patient; it will take time for me to be able to handle more that a few to-dos per day. But gradually I will regain my strength and work my way back to my old self. Patience is not one of my virtues, but I guess I am going to learn it intimately.

My son and grandson came over to visit yesterday. It was so wonderful to watch Jessie play and to see him with his dad, so happy to be spending time with daddy. Houston is really working hard to turn his life around. He has a big hole that he is trudging his way out of, and there is a long road ahead of him. A lot of people might just give up seeing an obstacle that big, but he is genuinely giving it all he can. I can see him, one step at a time, improving his life. He is working two jobs, supporting his son, paying his astronomical fines and trying to find an affordable place to live where he can make a home for him and Jessie. He is an ex-felon, but he has paid his debt to society, it would be nice if people would recognize that his debt has been paid. Acknowledge that he is trying to improve his life and is making strides towards creating a positive future. It is frustrating that some people cannot let it go, cannot forgive him his trespasses, cannot believe that he might have changed. It’s easy for people to persecute him and think they are giving him what he deserves, but they should look inside themselves and like Jesus, if they are without sin, cast the first stone. I wonder how long he will be branded with this scarlet letter. It is no wonder that so many criminals go back to a life of crime; since society will not accept them back, what options are they given? Houston is determined to never go back to his old life, he is committed to creating a new life for his family, maybe everyone should just give him that chance. I know that me and my family will not give up on him. We will continue to support him, continue to cheer him on. Someone has to be his cheerleader.

Its another gorgeous spring day and I am going to try my hand at yard work again. My list of things to do is longer than I could have done even if I was in great health, so I will do what I can. Mike and my parents are coming over to help me, hopefully dad and Mike can get the sprinklers going – that is the top priority. It’s starting to look pretty dry out there! I will work when I can, rest when I have to, knowing I have my family hovering over me to make sure I don’t do too much. For now I am happy to be able to enjoy the sunshine on a perfect spring day. It is great to be alive.