Sunday, October 17, 2010

More on Love

Fall is definitely in the air. As I sit here in my antique rocking chair in front of the warm blowing fireplace I reflect on the last year, the last time I sat here in front of the fireplace as winter began its inevitable decent on us. The air is crisp and fresh as the sun shines brightly down unable to warm the cold autumn breeze. How could we know I would still be in the battle for my life a year later, still doing chemo, still confronting the horrible side effects, still wondering how long I will live, how long it will be before the disease takes over completely, or if I will find a way to beat this evil foe. My soul cries out...beat it I will, I steel myself, my mantra to live strong within me. I will not give up, I will not grow complacent, I will fight until I can fight no more. I will live as long as my destiny allows, as long as I am given the grace to be here on this earth, in this family, with those I love. And after I go, I will love them from afar and I will send my devotion from the heavens as I watch over them. My deep undying love will remain here with them, I will leave behind my legacy in the form of everlasting love and hope for a beautiful future.

I have said it before and I’ll say it again, no matter the question, love is the answer. The love we share as human beings is enduring and real. It surpasses all trials, all errors, all foibles and shortcomings. It allows us to overcome what we believe to be insurmountable. We can climb mountains that reach to the sky and make it through the darkest valleys, the bleakest of times. Love allows us to conquer it all.

Love those in your life with all your heart. Forgive them their shortcomings, their mistakes. Support them in their victories and in their traumas. Be a rock, a foundation of enduring love that will help them triumph, no matter how trying, how difficult. Let your love permeate your life and all those around you. It is the only thing that carries on forever.