Sunday, December 27, 2009

Lazy Days.

I love the lazy days following Christmas. When there is no work and no school and all the chaos and preparations are over. The wrapping paper has been tossed and the opened toys sit under the tree. I’ve been enjoying the time with my daughter, eating junk food and watching The Gilmore Girls. I got the entire series for Christmas, we are halfway through season one. I wish I was witty and quick like Lorelei Gilmore, I just love that character. Peyton and I enjoy the interaction between the Lorelei and Rory, it reminds us of us.

Its bitterly cold outside, only in the 20’s, so its been great here in front of the fireplace. I was hoping for snow on Christmas, but we just got the cold instead. Mike got me one of those one-cup coffee makers for Christmas, so I can enjoy a fresh cuppa coffee in front of the fire every morning. I am one of those people who only likes my coffee fresh. Once it has sat on the burner, yuk. So a one cupper is perfect for me. Mike also arranged for us to go back to our favorite B&B on the coast over Valentines day, in the same room we stayed in last valentines day. I can’t wait. Last year was the most perfect Valentines weekend ever, and we hope to recreate that again this year. We stayed in Arch Cape and spent time in Cannon Beach and Manzanita. As you all know, I love the coast. I wish I could live there and just watch the tides go in and out, the waves crashing on the sand, the fog rolling in every morning, the crisp air, it is the best place in the world. Now, I haven’t traveled the world, but even if I did, I cannot imagine a more perfect place.

Today is another day of rest and relaxation. Peyton’s boyfriend is back in town tomorrow, so today will be my last day to have her undivided attention. I love this time together, its days like these that make a life. Days spent with someone you love so much it brings tears to your eyes to just think about them. Maybe we will watch more Gilmore Girls as we look once again at her special gift, a photo album of her life up to now. She wants to add a few more pages and put together a legend of the people and places so 20-30-40 years from now when she forgets who and where, she’ll have a cheat sheet. Makes good sense to me!

This has been a perfect holiday, except for the one person who is missing from it all, my son. My heart breaks having him so close, yet so far away. When I go see him he is right there on the screen, and I can reach out, but I cannot touch him. I cannot hug him and tell him Merry Christmas, I can only tell him how much we miss him and how incomplete our holiday felt without him. I’ve been going to see him twice a week, if my health allows, and we have wonderful conversations about current events and the books he reads. He is apprehensive about the day when he gets out, February 14th, and what happens to him then. I am helping him to explore the options. There are a few halfway houses that help people who are just out of jail and there is a friend of the family who has offered to help. I want what is best for him and for him to be somewhere where he can have access to the tools he will need to succeed. It is hard for a felon to get a job, and he has to have a job to pay his fines to stay out of jail. I think he has learned his lesson, but he is in the midst of a deep dark hole, and I know it is overwhelming thinking about climbing out. I have encouraged him that only he can traverse his way out and it is going to take a lot of perseverance and determination, but I believe in him that he can succeed and will be a better person because of it. This type of thing is hard for this “instant gratification” generation. They are used to getting what they want NOW, so to have a challenge like this stretching before them that takes years and years to complete, it will be a test of his character and his strength. I truly believe he will be a better person when he finds his way out of the darkness and back into the light.

We are certainly facing our challenges here in the Taylor household. Peyton and I have discussed that we would like the black cloud that is hanging over our little family to move on out. I hope that the winds will pick up and blow away the storm and leave us with the refreshing post tempest brightness. We just have to make it through and there is brilliance waiting for us on the other side. Walk with us, a journey awaits.