Thursday, December 24, 2009

Not the Christmas Wish I'd Hoped For

Well I didn’t get the Christmas present I was praying for, health. I had my bone scan on Tuesday and saw Dr. Rado today and the results of the scan were not what we were hoping. There are additional spots on my ribs, but some of them continue to be symmetrical. So I find that very Pattyesque, only I would have symmetrical cancer lesions on my ribs. This is a disturbing development, the cancer in my lungs is rapidly improving, but in the meantime, it is also spreading. So the chemo is working, but not enough from keeping it from developing elsewhere. Dr. Rado feels that this is just such a nasty cancer it is just going to rear its ugly head every chance it gets. So my future is filled with beating this back and continuing to give me the best life we can.

We don’t have a plan of action quite yet. Dr. Rado wants to consult with Dr. Geiver, a radiation oncologist, to see if I am a good candidate for radiation. If I am, then I will get radiation while continuing to get chemo and he will switch out one of my chemo drugs for a different drug that might work better of the bone metastases. I will also start on a 28 day regimen of a type of drug called bisphosphonates, which help to strengthen the bones and help prevent additional lesions. I will meet with Dr. Rado next Wednesday and start chemo and the bisphosphonates next Thursday. Radiation will be started shortly thereafter if it turns out that I am a good candidate. I hope so since that is just another weapon in the arsenal to beat this disease.

Until then, I enjoy the holidays with my family and give thanks for the incredible blessings that I have in my life. I may not have my health, but I can still enjoy everyday activities and the time with my family and friends. I am grateful that I can spend this time with them and look forward to many more Christmas days.

God blessings on you during this holiday. Give thanks for all you have. Each day, each moment, each person in your life is a very special gift.