Monday, March 28, 2011

Broken!

Well, I need to be more careful. I told you that I fell coming into the house after church last week and hurt my shoulder. Since it wasn't getting better I told the doctor about it and they xrayed it, then did a CT and found that I broke the top of my humerous bone in my shoulder. The good news is that the break is not cancer related, there are no metastatic lesions which preceeded the break, it just broke. I fell today too, but caught myself against the wall, which tells me that I REALLY need to be more careful. I get too complacent going up and down these stairs and catch my foot and that's it...I trip and fall. So, I am slowing down and holding the handrails and going slower so this doesn't happen again. There is nothing that can be done. They could put me in a sling and immobilize the shoulder so it doesn't hurt as much, but other than that, its just going to take 3 weeks or so to heal enough so the pain recedes. I don't want to wear a sling so I am just going to not use my arm as much as possible. They have changed my pain meds so that I don't have to take so many pills and it should control the pain better. So that's the plan. Pain control and try not to use my right arm. Yeah right. I am right handed, its going to be near impossible to not use my arm! I'll use it the least I can. That's the best I can do. At least I know why my shoulder hurts and isn't getting better! Its not all in my head, I really did break something. I got some bad news today; one of the ladies that was on the retreat in Utah lost her battle with cancer. It is so sad and I certainly didn't see it coming. She was energetic and vivacious and filled her world with light. A joy to be around. We all thought she was battling like the rest of us and the loss has been met with disbelief. It could be any of us. I hate thinking that I could wake up one day and this cancer has taken over my body and is taking my life. Metastatic breast cancer is a sneaky and malicious disease. One day you are successfully fighting it back and the next day it is taking over for good, no more fight left, the cancer has won. I try not to think of it. I try to think that I will always be in the lead in the fight, winning; but I know there is always the chance that I will lose this battle. But, like Kim, I hope to leave behind alot of joy and light. If I die, my prayer is that the light I leave behind is brighter than the darkness of this disease. So I will let my light shine, no matter what the circumstances, no matter what the situation. Shine on light, shine on.