Thursday, September 3, 2009

Doctors Update

Well, I have had dose one of round 4 and it looks like I'm going to go 6 rounds, then another CT and if I keep improving then we'll do one more round for good measure and then reevaluate. According to Dr. Rado, my results from the CT were phenomenal, which is a wonderful word when you are talking about cancer.


I think what is hard for me to swallow right now and is sinking to my brain is that there is no cure. This may never go away completely and is treated in some ways like a chronic disease. I may be in and out of chemo for the rest of my life. There has to be a way to beat this, I know there is. I mean, statistically there may be no cure, but I AM NOT A STATISTIC. I will find a way to beat this, I just have to wrap my mind around the enormity of if and find a way.


I talked to Dr. Penney (my former doctor, she is amazing!) and she is back in town but hasn't started her practice yet. She wants me to go up to Seattle Cancer Care and Wellness Center and talk to them about getting a plan that includes some alternative, complimentary therapies including nutrition, exercise, acupuncture, Chinese medicine, naturopathic chemotherapy (whatever that is) that will work with my current conventional treatment to find a long term solution to this disease. She said that once I get a plan, she would be happy to help me coordinate and implement into my life, regardless of whether or not she is back in practice yet. (Is that amazing or what? She is the best!) So I want to talk to Dr. Rado and get his buy-in because I think it is important to have him on board since he is my primary provider and I trust him implicitly. I also need to see if it is covered by insurance, since I am sure this won't be cheap. So, I'll do some research and in the meantime I am committed to making some changes in my life that will help to make the slightly toxic remedy work more effectively.

I need to modify my diet and work a little harder to increase my fruit and vegetable intake making sure I get my protein and iron for my blood, but in a more healthy form. Exercise every day, even if I don't want to! Its hard when I'm tired and have worked 10-12 hours, but its important to my long term well being. Get away from my office and do my Qi Gong and get involved in Tai Chi Chih again to help heal my body (classes starting this month!). Take the time to meditate everyday on healing and hope. There is so much I can do to help the medicine work, and its time I took my part more seriously. I do not want to do chemo for the rest of my life. And, I want this life to be a long one.

I will beat this disease. Nine weeks, then a CT, and one more round for good measure. Twelve weeks, I can make it! I am confident if I work hard during this 12 weeks, I can beat this sucker back to nothing! Join me in the fight!

Keep praying!