Friday, September 18, 2009

Update before I leave town!

Well, my blood counts tanked yesterday, again. Luckily I was able to get scheduled for a transfusion in the afternoon which really screwed up my day. I had my day all planned, and a transfusion takes so many hours! I guess the good point is I was able to get all my Kadlec work done, but unfortunately it wasn’t like working on my patio office. My patio office is much nicer and provides such a spectacular working environment. But there were other things I was going to do, including delivering peoples dishes back to them, but that’s didn’t happen either. I didn’t leave the hospital until 7:30 at night and then spent time packing and getting ready to leave for the weekend. However, I have to say how grateful I am that there are people out there willing to donate blood. As I sit there getting that blood, I think, someone did this for me and they didn’t even know me. I used to donate blood, BC (before cancer), and never really thought that much about the recipient of that blood. I just knew it was the right thing to do and that someone, somewhere would benefit from my donation. Now that I am the recipient of that blood, I know how much that donation means. How lifesaving it is. Without that blood I don’t know how or when my counts would rebound and how sick I would become while waiting. Those people who gave me blood truly gave me life. What a profound feeling. Whoever you are, thank you. Your selfless act saved another. What a blessing.

I am so excited to leave! Breitenbush is one of the most special places I’ve every been. It is a spiritual center. When you are there, your heart rate slows, your blood pressure drops, you simply relax and feel better. The stresses seem to fall away and the most important thing on your to do list is to make it to dinner on time. You can turn your cell phone off, since there is no cell phone coverage anyway, there also is no radio, no TV, no internet. It is pure uncomplicated life.

As I sit on the patio this morning its still dark. The light is barely starting to peek out over the horizon and the dawn is upon me. Dawn. I like that word. It has such promise, such hope. The dawn of a new day. Its like every day you get another chance. A do-over, if you will, to make your life a better life. No matter how dark the night is, dawn comes. It always comes. And when it does, you feel better. You know you have traversed the darkness and have walked into the new light. As my new blood flows through me a new day begins. A day full of possibilities. A day full of hope.