Sunday, November 29, 2009

Lights and a Major Award!



It’s the day of the Christmas lights. The Big Day. Normally, it is the day after thanksgiving, but with my family here this weekend, I didn’t get to the lights like I normally would, so its today. Christmas Light Day.

I love Christmas lights. Absolutely love them. Clark Griswold has nothing on me when it comes to putting up Christmas lights. I want my house to shine. I want the next county to be able to see the glow of the season illuminating from my home. The local power company sees a spike in the grid when the switch is blow and the darkness is chased away; replaced by the radiance of a thousand lights. The season has truly begun for me.

I hung my Christmas lights myself for years. Even when I was married, I was the one out there hanging those Christmas lights while the kids in the neighborhood looked on in awe, “your MOM does that?” It has always been important to me to have lights on my house. Some years there were more than others, but there have always been lights. Since Mike came into my life, he has helped me with lights every year, and this year is no different. Only this year, even his son Jason is coming to help and I get to be management during the process. I doubt I can stay away from helping, but I’ll do the best I can. The plan is to have colored icicle lights lining the entire house. That’s what I did last year and it looks like a gingerbread house. A lot of people have icicle lights, but mine are multi-colored icicle lights. I ordered them off the internet. I want all the major windows also outlined in lights, my bushes covered with the bush lights and a star on the eve. I also purchased on the internet last year some hanging lights balls and stars to put in the trees. And, of course, there are my lawn lights and penguins. Can’t live without the penguins. Maybe I’ll name one Sid Crosby.

Its gonna be great.

Once we are done outside, if I have any energy left, I’ll start on the inside. I don’t go as elaborate on the inside as a lot of people I know; I am more about the lights. Plus I have dogs and a grandson that can destroy anything I put up inside, so I have to be a little more careful what goes where inside. But I still have my standby favorites and the inside will also be aglow in the season.

To top off the weekend, we had a wonderful time as a family last night. Today is my dad’s 77th birthday so Rhonda and I made him a leg lamp cake. Yes. We did. Believe it. He is a huge fan of “A Christmas Story” so we used directions from the daughter of a friend at work who had made one and we were successful in making a hideous leg lamp cake! It took hours of grueling labor, love, laughter and fun and my kitchen floor was covered in butter cream frosting and God knows what else, but we did it! We wrapped it all up in a FRAGILE box from Italy and gave it to him at dinner last night. He wants to save it and we haven’t figured out how to allow him to do that yet, but it is still sitting on my kitchen table. Waiting to be transported to his home for him to figure out what to do with it. The “lampshade” is a 5-layer cake with over 3 pounds of butter cream frosting. Does that tell you how much this sucker weighs? The leg is made out of rice krispie treats. It is truly a Major Award.

Well off to illuminate the season. Cheers!