Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Komen and other things

I just read an article about Susan G. Komen and the misuse of their power against smaller fundraising organizations. They are working to prohibit other fundraising organizations from using the words "for a cure" or even using the color pink. Is that really a good use of donor funds? Plus, where do they get off trying to corner the fundraising market on the use of those words or of the use of a color? Aren't we all working for the same goal? Raising money for worthy causes? I know after reading this article I am withdrawing my support of Komen and will continue to support other small organizations like the triple negative breast cancer foundation or breast cancer.org and especially our local charities like Chest of Hope or the cancer center. It seems to me that Komen has gotten to big for its britches and has forgotten their goal is to raise money to find a cure, not to use hard earned donor dollars to bully other fundraising organizations.

To read the full article the link is below.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/07/komen-foundation-charities-cure_n_793176.html



I am feeling pretty puny these days with chemo in yesterday. But I could be worse so I take it as a good day that I can get up and around.

I just heard that a good friend and colleague, Jim Morasch, was in a serious car accident this morning. I talked to a mutual friend and he is in critical condition up in Seattle at Harborview. My understanding is that right now it is touch and go, his condition is very serious. Puts my disease in perspective. At least I am still here, able to enjoy my friends and family. I may be fighting for my life, but I know and see my foe. My friend Jim is fighting on so many fronts that we just must pray for God to heal his body. So a prayer in his direction would be much appreciated.

Peyton is healing up nicely and is working and going to school and starting to eat a little better. She is studying for a big test coming up on Thursday so has cloistered herself away in her room, only coming out for sustenence. I am proud she is working so hard.

Lots of things to pray for, but God is faithful and true and will not leave us or forsake us. He is with us no matter what the circumstance. Keep the faith in your heart and soul.