Saturday, January 22, 2011

Update on Peyton

Well I think we are over the major hump. Day one wasn't too bad, she slept most of the day and I woke her up every few hours all night to take her pain medication and make sure she drank water. Day two is when it hit. Friday morning she did okay and I made her some noodles with parmesan cheese for lunch and, unfortunately it didn't settle well and that started the puking. After that everything that went down, came back up, including water. So no pain medication and her mouth was hurting something terrible. It was awful. I felt so incredibly helpless watching my daughter be so sick and nothing I could do to make her feel better. Finally about 9 last night the nausea started to pass and she was able to keep down some 7-up and then by 10 was able to eat a little bit which enabled her to take her pain medication. We started her back on her antibiotics today, she is feeling okay, but her poor little cheeks look like chipmunks. But I think she is on the mend. Its times like this that I rue buying a house with stairs. I think I have been up and down these stairs at least 100 times in the last few days. I thanked Peyton today for assisting with my exercise program! Thank goodness we did this at the end of my treatment session, not the beginning. I don't think I would have had the energy a week ago. She might go to a friends house tonight to watch some hockey, it would probably be good to get out of the house for a few hours. We'll see how she does today.

I sort of melted down last night. I was so tired and Peyton was so sick and there was just nothing I could do. So I called my mom and just cried, I know she knows how I feel, she probably feels like this with me most of the time. I know I get my chemo and I get so sick and there is just nothing she can do, and as a mother, we want to take away the pain and the sickness and just make our children feel better. I was just so relieved to see Peyton turn the corner and start feeling well. That was such a relief.

I slept pretty good last night, one ear listening for Peyton the other closed to deep sleep. She made it through the night without pain medication, which is great and today she is more sore than hurting. At least this is a one-time thing. Once those wisdom teeth are out, they are out, never has to be done again. She got to keep the top two teeth, the bottom ones had to be broken to get out. So that is why she is so swollen on the bottom and not the top. A few more days and she will start getting back to normal. Wisdom teeth, its like a rite of passage to adulthood.

I am hanging in there, I just wish I could take away her pain, her discomfort. It just breaks my heart. I am getting tired, but that's a mom's job, to take care of their children, no matter how hard it is. I'll keep you posted.