Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Treatment Changes

Well the news doesn't get any better. The tumors have grown 30-40% and Dr. Rado is definately concerned. He said its time to consult Seattle and see if I am a candidate for Gamma or Cyber knife. Dr. Iuliano's concern is that the area is so large they would have to radiate so much mass that I may end up with some permanent disability on my right side. I would take a little disability to regain my life. So my files are on their way to Seattle for review and today I start a new chemotherapy pill in addition to the Avastin that also crosses the blood-brain barrier. It is a pill form that I will take for five consecutive days then I will do my Avastin on Monday then two weeks later I'll do both. I will also stay on my Zomeda to keep my bones strong and metastatic free. They are taking me off the Abraxane since it is for my body and my body appears to be clear from cancer. That brings up one of my other fears is that without treatment the little cancer cells will reemerge and come back into my lungs and everywhere else.

They have me on alot of antiseizure medication, I'm using a walker and I'm not allowed to drive. I am going to be on the mercy of my friends and family to get to all the places I need to go and I have just really gotten involved in some great support classes. I have exercise twice per week, yoga on Fridays, PT once per week not to mention the doctors appointments. So there is a real burden on my family right now. I hate depending on other people to do things for me, I am so independent that this is going to be hard to handle.

I am working to overcome the fear of the unknown. I never know when another seizure might hit and I find myself flailing on the ground. Rand and Gay had a First Alert installed in my home that I wear around my neck so if I fall I push one button and am connected with help who will call someone to help or send a paramedic or whatever I need. It makes me feel much more safe when I am home by myself and at least gives me a little independence.

I'll keep you updated as the treatment progresses. For right now, I ask you to join me in my fervent prays for a complete recovery.