Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Update

Short night. I am having a “waking EEG” today which means I couldn’t go to bed until midnight and had to be up by 5am. Once awake I can have no caffeine or sugar prior to the test. The sugar and caffeine are no big deal, I don’t drink coffee anymore anyway and I don’t eat a lot of sugar. Since I’m awake I’ll make Peyton breakfast so I can have a little bacon and hash browns. I am not positive what this test is going to tell me except how my brain wave function is working and how its changed since my EEG a few years ago. Dr. Zhang is trying to determine what is long term damage and what function is going to be returning. I have already received so much function on my right side back, I think there is hope I’ll get the full function back.

More bad news in the family. I want to get our family out of 2010. It has been a rough year. Friday night my cousin, Brad and his girlfriend, Monica, were leaving a restaurant on foot and were hit by a car as they were crossing the street. Monica broke her leg, shoulder and lost a tooth not to mention lots of bruises and street burns. Brad too the worst of it with both legs broken, knee shattered, two ribs broken, both sides of his jaw broken, lost a tooth (strangely the same one as Monica) and numerous bruises and bumps. They both had surgery on Saturday and as far as I know it went well. I do not know how long they will be hospitalized, but I think this is a long recovery, especially Brad. Employment has been tough in San Diego the last few years and he has been working intermittently and he finally was getting back to work full time. I sure hope this kid has insurance; Brad and Monica are going to have a rough road.

Due to the accident they were not able to make the scattering of my Aunts ashes off sunset cliffs. I can’t remember if I shared how they were scattering the ashes by going out on surfboards. I believe Bri road a few waves with her before scattering the ashes. They also dropped roses in the water as prayers for her, save one, Bri dropped it as a prayer for me. He said Bobbi Jo wouldn’t mind, I have to agree.

I still can’t believe she is gone and I’m never going to see her again. I probably only saw her once a year, but she’s been there back as far as I can remember, visiting with my cousins who would both dote on and terrorize me. We have a small family, my father is an only child and my mom had her twin sister and her brother who died in 1972. So my parents are all that’s left of that generation. I hope they live a long long time. I want to keep the rest of my family as long as I can.

The chemo has left me nauseas and tired. I anticipate about 10-12 days of feeling relatively rotten followed by a few days of feeling okay followed by another round of chemo. We want every last piece of cancer gone! I am having my CT and MRI on October 13th and then seeing Dr. Rado on October 18th. I know no matter what he is going to want to do quite a few more rounds of chemo just to make sure to get all the little pieces we might not be able to see floating around in my body. As much as I want to be done I want to be done for good. So if that takes a few more rounds, well then, I can tolerate that. It would just be nice to know there is an end in sight.

So that’s my day. Pray for Brad and Monica. They could really use some healing prayers sent their way. God protect and heal them.