Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Grand Adventure for Peyton

I am finally starting to feel better. Thank goodness. I was beginning to think that this chemo was going to make me sick until the next dose, and finally I woke up Saturday morning and thought…I feel okay, not great, but okay. I wanted to get up and around to make sure it wasn’t an illusion and I wasn’t going to recede back into sickness once I got moving. So I carefully arose and tentatively entered into my day. Peyton and I hit Starbucks on her way to work and I actually enjoyed the first cup of coffee in the last few weeks. Mike and I had a cup of coffee earlier in the week, but it didn’t agree with my stomach very well, but the coffee Saturday morning, it was, well, nirvana. Simply delightful.

Peyton is off on a fabulous adventure to our great Northern neighbor, Canada. She sprung it on me when I picked her up from work yesterday; that she and her friend and co-Ams-Fan, Katie, wanted to head up to the big city of Chillawack to see the Ams play. Who am I to stand in the way of an adventure? Not me, I promote adventure. So after a few hours filled with finding Peyton’s passport, searching for a decent affordable hotel, buying tickets to the game, changing the oil in the car, and slipping Peyton a little extra spending money, they were off, headed to the lands of the north, in search of a hockey game, preferably an Americans win. My latest correspondence with Peyton is as follows: This, dear mom is a top notch hotel were in. The guy at the front desk wears a very nice turban. Continental breakfast...oh yes. Turn the corner and it's hard mini bagels and muffins. No cream cheese by the way! No orange juice left and bran flakes for cereal. But over all were having fun. Laying in bed eating toast watching Canadian tv. I guess what can you expect for $78 per night? I am not sure what adventures they have planned for the day, but whatever they do, I’m sure they will have a wonderful time. I miss her when she is gone but it makes me smile that she is off in another country with a friend just being a young adult and having fun. Do you remember what it what like being young like that, no responsibilities, no cares? If you want to take off and head cross country for a few days, you have the freedom to do so. What a gift that freedom is and I hope my daughter takes advantage of her youth and her freedom and experiences everything that life has to offer. As we get older we get stifled and our spontaneity leaves us. We would never leave the country on a whim, but a young adult, oh yes, and I hope there are lots more whimsical trips in her future. And I support and encourage every one of them!

I have found myself a little weak today, my legs are aching and don’t have much strength. The nausea is mostly gone, and I am enjoying another cup of coffee, so far so good! I know me well enough to know that once I start feeling better at all, I start overdoing it so I have committed to take it easy and just enjoy the day. Do little minor activities, take a walk, but mostly rest and read and enjoy emails from my daughter. I plan on working tomorrow night, so I want to be as healthy as possible to cover that evening meeting.

Enjoy the spring that has sprung all around us out there. The sun is peeking out from behind the mild cloud cover and is just screaming to illuminate our day. Get outside and soak in the sunshine. Most of us are vitamin D deficient and just 30 minutes in the beautiful sunshine can fill us up with all the D we need for the day. Plant some flowers, rake the leaves, sit in a chair and let the sun rays embrace you. It is simply the most beautiful time of the year. Enjoy!