Sunday, March 21, 2010

Halfway Through

Mike, his family, my parents and I all did the Ribbon River Walk yesterday to benefit the Tri-Cities Cancer Center. There was a one mile and a 5k. I attempted the one mile, but didn’t make it all the way and turned around quite a ways before the ½ mile mark and lumbered on back to the start line. I didn’t feel right even taking the “participant” ribbon that they handed me at the finish line since I couldn’t even make it a mile. But, oh well, at least I participated. By the time I got home I was exhausted and slept most of the afternoon. When I got up I tried to eat a little, but I just was feeling so crummy that food didn’t sit with me well. So I laid on the couch for a while watching TV hoping I would feel better. I never did.

Last night Mike and I were supposed so join some friends to celebrate the Persian New Year and I was really looking forward to the gathering. Needless to say, I didn’t make it. I called and reluctantly bailed, wishing her a “Aid-eh Sho-mah Mo-bar-ak” and begging for leftovers today, she is an incredible cook and was making a lot of traditional Iranian dishes that I am sure are absolutely amazing. Maybe today I’ll be able to sample some of the leftovers! I’m still feeling pretty puny, my stomach is upset, I am extremely weak and feel like I have a mild version of the flu. Even my hands are achy. I am hoping I didn’t catch anything being around all those people yesterday. I live my life pretty normal, but forget that I really don’t have much of an immune system, so anything that is floating about out there could really put me down. I try to practice good hygiene, hand sanitizer and vigorous hand washing, not touching my face, but sometimes no matter what you do, you catch the crud. I’m not sure if I am coming down with something or if this is still just the chemo doing its job. I have felt so much better this round that I just expect to continue to feel better, so when I start going backwards like this I’m not sure what do to!

I’ll take it easy today. Jessie is coming over, but Houston will be here so if I need to rest, I can just go lay down and rest. The day isn’t looking too wonderful out there, cloudy and a little rainy, so I hope that Jessie is able to get outside and play, that is his favorite thing to do, play outside!! Either way, I get the joy of spending time with him today without all the responsibility. Houston is the primary caregiver, I’m just providing the house and yard!

I hope to be able to go to work for a few hours tomorrow. I promised I would be in to help with a few things. I could do them from home if I have to, but I’d rather try to hit the office for a few hours, it would be nice to see everyone and to feel useful for a change. It’s hard to feel useful when you are vertical on a couch or bed for more than a week.

Its day 11, so I am more than halfway through this cycle and I have blood work tomorrow. I have to be on the homeward stretch. I sure do hope so. Send good energy that I get to feeling better soon!!