Thursday, March 25, 2010

Quick Update

Just a quick update to let all of you know how I am doing. I worked on Monday and Tuesday, which was wonderful, but I think I worked too long on Tuesday and left about an hour after I should have. By the time I got home I was exhausted and barely made it to the couch to sleep for a few hours before taking Peyton to the dentist. Tuesday night I was sound asleep on the couch by 7pm and then went to bed at 9pm. Wednesday I woke up and took Peyton to school and just felt awful. I was weak, nauseas, achy and generally miserable. I spent most of the day either sleeping on the couch or in bed, except for Peyton’s student led conference. I set the alarm for noon to make sure I got up and made it to the conference on time, and thought that once I was up and around I would feel better. Nope. Didn’t feel better, in fact felt worse, so after her conference, came home and went to bed for a few hours. I was able to stay awake enough to watch a little TV last night and got caught up on a few of my recorded TV shows and back to bed early.

Today I feel slightly better, but I don’t want to go back to miserable anytime soon, so I’m going to stay home today and maybe go for a walk if the wind dies down a little. But take it real easy to make sure that I don’t go backwards again. Tomorrow, if I continue to feel better, I will go to work for a few hours to make sure I’m set for a meeting I am covering on Monday night. But only a few hours, I am not going to overdo it again.

Right now we are waiting on isotopes. There was concern that if we waited to do my bone scan there wouldn’t be isotopes and guess what, that became a reality and there is a nationwide shortage and no isotopes to do my bone scan. I am sort of frustrated and feel like I should have taken the one two weeks ago rather than waiting. I thought about pushing back and doing the scan, but trusted the doctor that it was better to wait and take our chances. So, I am on a list at the hospital that if they get isotopes they will call me and get it scheduled. But there is no way to know if the cancer has continued to spread in my bones without that scan…so if I can’t get it then what do we do? I have no clue. I don’t want to continue this chemo unless I have to, but if there is a chance it is still in my bones, then I think we have to keep going until we know for sure. I’d rather be safe than sorry. We see Dr. Rado on Thursday before my chemo, so I guess if I don’t get my bone scan by then, we will talk about what the next steps are going to be until I can get the scan. And since it is a nationwide shortage, it’s not like I can go elsewhere. No one has the isotopes. It really sucks.

On to happier matters. Peyton found a dentist that she really likes and hopefully her dental experiences will improve with this new dentist. She has serious dentist phobia thanks to the inept dentists over at Willamette Dental and their poor dental techniques. She needed a cleaning and wanted to go to Caldwell Dental since they have a retail store in their dental office. She figured that the retail store fit with her personality and it must be a good dentist if he has a store that sells cute clothes. Whatever, it works in her mind. So we went to Caldwell Dental and she really liked him. It is a beautiful office, and Dr. Calwell is, well, beautiful too. Very easy on the eyes, Peyton thought he was gorgeous and awesome, so she has found a dentist she likes. She has to have a little cavity filled next week, and she said she can do it, no problem, so I am hoping for a simple and easy appointment with no drama. I can’t take her, but she said that is okay, she’ll be fine. I sure hope so…

So pray for isotopes. That is my next great need. And once we get those isotopes, pray for a clear scan!!