Saturday, March 20, 2010

Hopes and Dreams

I love spring. Walking around the neighborhood and seeing the bushes bursting with color, the trees budding, crocus popping their heads above the grass, daffodils shining brilliantly in the sun. My mothers has more than 300 daffodils in her front yard and it looks incredible. Peyton and I love tulips and this fall we are going to plant as many tulips bulbs as we can afford to enjoy next year. One of my neighbors has tulips in their front yard of every color, it is a cacophony of bright colors lining the sidewalk, I love enjoying it everyday. In spring the air smells fresh, the sky seems brighter and bluer. The world seems full of optimism.

Mike and I enjoyed a wonderful jazz guitarist concert last night, Martin Taylor, out at Battelle Auditorium. What an incredible artist. For a small community I am so impressed with the quality of the musical talent that comes our way. I am doubly lucky to have a wonderful man in my life who shares my enthusiasm for artistic events. We love music, theatre, museums and even the occasional hockey game with my parents. Not to mention we like to experience the great outdoors, hiking and camping (although not too rustic for me) and traveling. I look forward to our future together exploring new towns and cities, discovering museums, stopping to read every single exhibit display word by word. Uncovering random and obscure plays and bands and enjoying every minute together as we immerse ourselves into new places and a new cultures. Mike and I are good together, and my future with him feels very optimistic too. I am hopeful that these dreams will come true and I will get to grow to old age with my best friend experiencing all that life has to offer. What more could anyone ask?

Sure I’m scared that my dreams won’t come true and this disease will take me before I’m ready, but I can’t and won’t let go of all that I imagine for my life, all that I want it to be. For Valentines Day I made a “hopes and dreams” jar filled with the hopes and dreams I have for our life together. And I plan on sticking around long enough to accomplish every single dream, fulfill every hope.

And isn’t that what we all want, to live long enough to accomplish our hopes and dreams, and to live out the fantasy that we have for our lives. To come to the end at the top of the mountain and to look back on a long and winding road full of pitfalls and accomplishments and smile.