Thursday, January 21, 2010

Another Pair of Fabulous Shoes!

I almost jinxed the whole damn thing.

I realized when I got home from my meeting late last night that I had not acquired any new shoes for the big day starting this next round of chemo. How could I have missed that? How could I have had such a serious lapse in memory to neglect the all essential shoe?! It was too late to go to the mall, so I had a serious dilemma. Its not like I don’t have shoes to wear, I have a closet full of amazing shoes. That wasn’t the point. I didn’t have new shoes. The excitement of slipping your feet in between those virgin leather uppers, the cushion of new soles underneath your toes…ahhh….the pure pleasure of it all. And I was going to miss it. I was so focused on the merriment I was experiencing from not being in chemo, that I totally forgot the basic rules of chemo. Rule one…new shoes.

I awoke this morning with still no answer to my dreadful quandary. I had to meet the vice principal at Peyton’s school to work out some schedule changes and I had to be at chemo by 9am. The mall opens at 10am - - so the mall was definitely out. There were going to be no new Naughty Monkeys for this all important day. It was time for Plan B. Life is all about how you handle Plan B, right? So I did the next best thing I could do…I went to Fred Meyer.

While not the shopping experience I enjoy at The Buckle when I purchase fabulous brands like Naughty Monkeys and BKE’s, they do have a decent selection of basic heeled footwear. So I began the search. Row after row, rack after rack. The first ones that caught my eye were Madden Girl and there were these magnificent zebra print with purple heels, but they were adorned with the most hideous purple flower on the top toe of the shoe! How could Steve Madden destroy a potentially awesome shoe with such a decoration faux pas. Undeterred, I continued my search, knowing the shoe was there, just waiting for me to rest my gaze upon it.

Then I saw them, simple, yet bold and full of class. A classic pump in shiny candle apple red. The same red of my car, the red that cries out “look at me”, that perfect red that embodies courage and confidence with its power and passion. Yes. Red shoes. Perfect to start the new segment of this journey. A color that clearly states “I will kick your ass if given a chance…don’t mess with me.” Those are the shoes I need; those are the shoes that I take my first steps with on this expedition up the mountain, those are the shoes that will carry me fearlessly up the path. I had accomplished my mission. I had acquired a new pair of fabulous shoes.

The thing is, I don’t wear a lot of red. So, the color of red is seriously lacking in my clothing racks. So the shoes required a new shirt. I had already determined that I would wear my new dark jeans, I just needed a shirt that perfectly coordinated with my kick ass shoes. I perused the aisles, scrutinized numerous racks and inspected piles until I amassed an appropriate mound to take to the dressing room. After trying on several pieces, I found the one that fitted perfect and coordinated ideally with the shoes. Purple and red, with sparkles on it. I love sparkles.

So I was ready. My journey was beginning and I had what I needed to take those first steps. Watch out cancer, here I come. This round is mine.