Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year

Its 2010. A new year, a new decade. Thinking of 2009, it was a year full of challenges and heartbreak, but it was not without its many moments of overwhelming joy. I look back and there is a miasma of sickness which covers so many memories, but shining through that haze is laughter and love, joy and tenderness, hope and faith for a better tomorrow.

I spent my new years eve in the arms and company of the man I love most in this world, laughing and talking and enjoying those last seconds of 2009 together. We prayed for a better 2010 and for me to regain my health. However, just before the end of the year, fate had to give me one last reminder of the dark cloud that has covered my world for so many months and I lost in the best of seven games at Yahtzee. Mike never beats me at Yahtzee. I am the undisputed champion in our long running Yahtzee competition. Scrabble champion, definitely Mike, but Yahtzee, that’s my game, my success. But I was humbled by a crushing defeat and I had to walk away from the Yahtzee table with my tail between my legs congratulating the new champion.

I plan on regaining the title of champion in 2010.

So we walk into the New Year, the new decade, with a bundle of hope on our shoulders and our eyes scanning the horizon for the better things which will befall us during this year. We keep the faith that tomorrow will come and with it will enter all our hopes and dreams. Even with all that optimism, I am a realist, and know that fate can play some wicked tricks on even the most faithful. This year that stands before me may not unfold as I desire; but I remain steadfast in the knowledge that life will not give me anything that I am not prepared to handle and that the plan that is MY life will roll towards the future as it is destined.

My life will be as it shall be, not as I want it to be.

I will continue to hold fast to my hope for my future, and rely on the love and support of those around me to help me through the challenges that await. We don’t always get what we want, but what we need to make it through is there for the taking. We just have to reach out our hands and accept the help that is there for us. I am dreaming of a wonderful 2010. It may not be perfect, but value is a matter of perspective, and I’m looking for great things this year.

Keep a watch out, the horizon is full of beauty.