Thursday, January 28, 2010

Muddling on Through

Well it’s been a difficult week, but thanks to the love and prayers and incredible support of my friends, family and co-workers, I don’t know I would make it through another day. I was surprised last night with two big laminated poster boards with well wishes from my friends at work and an envelope of personal donations from my friends on Medical Executive Committee. I cried. People are so loving and so kind, I just hope that someday I will get to repay all this kindness and I will get to be the one doing acts of kindness for everyone else.

The days are all starting to run together. I missed seeing my son yesterday (Wednesday is my visitation day) but there was no way I had the strength to go and visit. I could barely make it out of bed. I could hardly keeping the nausea under control and am so tired most of the time that I could happily just sleep the entire day away. I try to make myself get up everyday and at least sit vertical for awhile watching TV, doing email, something. I also make sure to eat a little bit everyday. I eat a lot of jello and toast, both of which seem to settle in my stomach okay.

The worst of this round of chemo has passed, at least I hope so. The burns on my back have developed into a very red and itchy rash which, when coherent, drive me nuts, so I popped on over to the cancer center to have them take a look at it. It appears that the side effects from the Gemzar just continue to raise their ugly head and this is a reaction to the Gemzar combined with the radiation. The two apparently don’t go too well together. So they have covered them with these gel packs that can be worn for three days at a time. When they come off, I’ll use some super strength hydrocortisone cream and the burn cream that I have already been using. Hopefully it will clear itself up within the next few weeks.

I got some great news on my trip to the coast. They are going to put my chemo off for one week to allow me to take the trip. I was going to have to cancel/postpone since there was no way I was going to take a dose of this awful chemo and then head out on vacation. So I will get an extra week off from this treatment. That is incredible news.

I am muddling my way through. It’s been a rough road, but I’m making it. One day at a time. Thanks for sending me your prayers.