Friday, January 8, 2010

Radiation Continues!

Just when I think I might not have the strength to make it through one more day, something will happen to inspire and encourage me. Suddenly, the day just doesn’t seem quite as difficult, the journey not quite as long, the mountaintop becomes attainable. I think it is the hand of God working through us, the mere mortals; those are wise enough to listen and do His bidding. My friends, my family, they continue to carry me forward when my strength is waning. Where would I be without you?

My radiation treatments are moving forward. The pain in my right seems to be subsiding; unfortunately my skin is already starting to burn. Dr. Rege never expected me to burn so quickly and I hope and pray that we can keep the burns under control so that I can continue treatment. My poor daughter now has the duty to put cream on my back in the morning and night. So far she is pretty good natured about it, but its only been one day, I wonder how she is going to feel about it in a week! I use aloe in the morning and after treatment I put on a prescription burn cream and then again at before bed. It helps that I am going into the weekend, which will give me a couple of days to get the burns under control so that I can have all five treatments next week. Say a prayer that these burns go away!

I’m finally starting to get some of my energy back and I’m not sick from chemo all the time so Jessie has been coming over in the evenings while his mommy works out at the gym. Tonight he is going to spend the night with Nana! It has been a long time since we had a sleep over and I am so excited! I’m going to take a little nap this afternoon after work to reenergize and be ready to keep up with him after daycare. That little boy is such a joy in my life; it warms me just to be near him, to watch him play, to hear his little voice. There is no love like a grandparent for their grandchild; it is a love beyond measure. I thank God that I have this time with my little guy; he holds my heart in his small hands. What a treasure I have in Jessie.

Off to get ready for work. I am working Monday, Wednesday and Friday going in after radiation and leaving by 2pm. So far, that is working okay. My chemo got moved to Thursday, January 21st because Thursdays work better with Mike’s schedule. He has a standing meeting on Wednesday mornings that he really can’t miss every week. So we are back to the old schedule. I don’t know yet if we are going to do three week cycles with two weeks on and one off or if we are going to move to a two week on and two week off cycle. I like the two on and two off cycle because it gives me more time to recover between treatments, and will put me on the second week off for my trip to the coast. I like the sound of that!

Enjoy your day. Make a difference in someone’s life with a small act of kindness, words of compassion and turn a gentle heart towards your fellow human beings. You never know whose life you might change.