Sunday, January 31, 2010

Successful Shopping (and other things)

Well it was a successful shopping expedition. I was able to purchase various items which I didn’t not set out to buy, that I did not need, and I simply could not live without. We were able to find a perfect rug for in front of the fireplace (an intentional find) as well as a supply of neon pink duct tape (obviously an unintentional purchase). Did you know that they even made pink duct tape? I was so excited I could hardly contain myself. I mean everyone needs duct tape, it is one of the most essential tools known to man, but it has always been in that horrid silver-grey color. Finally, someone got a clue, PINK (and green, blue, yellow). Apparently, this isn’t a new thing. My daughter was totally unimpressed as this has been around for awhile. But to me it was new and I was completely excited. I was also able to find refills for my good Kadlecmed gel pen (I love this pen, thanks Angela) and a copy of “The Going to Bed Book” by Sandra Boynton for Jessie. Apparently this is his favorite book and is quite useful during his potty training. He likes to sit on the potty and read it over and over and over and over. It is also Peyton’s favorite book, so he is in good company. Victory was attained as I was able to purchase the items which I set out for, and a few that I did not. All in all a great morning ending with a crescendo at Desserts by Kelly to pick up cookies and scones. Ah yes. Perfection.

I had an appointment to go see my son at 2:30 so Peyton and I decided to hit Red Robin on our way and grab a few burgers. Betrayed by my taste buds, that’s all I can say about that expedition. Let me back up a little bit here and explain a common side effect of chemo. Chemo has a funny way of affecting the way things taste. Sometimes its mild and sometimes its severe. I would have to add this alteration to the “severe” category. Things have been tasting funny for a few days, not bad, just a little off and a little flat. Lacking flavor is the best way to describe it. You bite into something expecting a rich, juicy explosion on flavor in your mouth, and you are met with a cool, wet, slump of food.

So on to my story. We go to Red Robin thinking we could get in and out of there in under an hour and it was obvious that there was no way that was going to happen. There was a 15-20 minute wait, so we ordered our food to go and brought it home. I was so excited. I was hungry, having only a cookie all day (the scone was for breakfast today) and having ordered my favorite A1 Peppercorn Burger. My nausea is finally under control, so I was ready for my first real food in over a week. I unwrap the burger, the smell assaults me, pure beef, peppersauce, fried onions…my mouth waters. And I bite. My taste buds are under attack, I can’t believe what I am tasting, it can’t be true, it is so unfair…salt. That’s all I can taste is salt. It is like biting into a giant salt lick with undertones of a fabulous burger. The iniquitous of it, I wanted to cry. This couldn’t be happening, so I tried another bite. Ack! The same angry blast of salt batters my mouth. I am done. This is no way to eat a burger. Ruined. Betrayed by my taste buds that I count on so much. So I shared the rest of my burger with my dogs, and I asked them, “do you think its too salty?” I was met with disinterested stares. I guess that was a “no.”

Peyton and I went to see Houston at 2:30. What little of the burger I did eat certainly did not sit well with me. Perhaps my nausea is not as well under control as I thought and I missed the first part of the visit in the bathroom. Relieved and revived, I joined the visit with him and Peyton and we had a nice discussion. We talked about his latest book “Centennial” by James Michener and the problem of reoffending amongst criminals. There are just not the tools out there to help them back into society. Most of the programs designed to help felons find housing and jobs, essential things they need to reintegrate into society, are seriously lacking due to budget and funding cuts. He has been accepted into a housing program, unfortunately their funding ends in June. But jobs are much harder to come by when you are a felon and how can you pay your fines, stay out of jail and become a contributing member of society if you can’t find a job? We are lucky that a friend of the family has agreed to give him work, if they have work. They build pole buildings, so it all depends on their workload. But at least it is a start. Houston is lucky, he is young and he has a family who loves him, he has a chance of making it. I am hopeful.

The rest of my day was spent resting and relaxing on the couch as I was exhausted from my exploits during the day. It is nice that I am feeling well enough to do so much, but I do still tire easily, as evidenced by the 12+ hours I slept last night.

Today I am going to go to lunch with the family and then we are going to go see “In The Mood” at Richland High Auditorium. Should be a great time.

Love to all.