Monday, January 18, 2010

A Perfect Weekend

It was a perfect weekend. The bulk of the weekend was spent in the company of my beautiful grandson and then ended with some quiet time with Mike. Although I still tire easier than I used to, there is no comparison to a month ago. I try to go to bed between 9-10 every night to ensure that I am getting adequate sleep to keep going during the day.

Jessie and I had a wonderful time together on Saturday night. We went to Target to get some NEW cars to add to his car collection and while there we acquired a Piston Cup Racetrack. While it seemed like a good idea at the time, implementation was a little more difficult. The instructions were a mess of some vague pictures that were near impossible for me to decipher. So I called in the big guns…I called Mike. He swooped in on his white horse and again, rescued me. In no time at all he had the racetrack spinning and flipping its cars. Jessie and I had a grand time playing cars, watching movies and eating pizza and blueberries (his favorite fruit).

Jessie sleeps with me when he stays the night and he is a little snuggle bug first thing in the morning. So as I lay there with my grandson in my arms I sent a prayer up to God that I be allowed to watch him grow up. How I ache to live a long life that includes watching that beautiful little boy become a young adult. So rather than mourn a loss that has not happened, I add this desire to that ever growing list of things that I continue to live for, things that keep me pushing through the darkness, the sadness and the pain of this disease.

So I will get ready for work and work today, tomorrow and Wednesday and then Thursday the chemo begins again. I am trying to not dread that day too much so that I don’t have a huge let down when the chemo day arrives. I just need to keep my attitude good and thank God for these last few perfect weeks. There are many more perfect days to come. They are waiting for me, right there on the horizon.