Wednesday, February 3, 2010

New Shoes and No Hair

Well, so far my week is going pretty well. I’m feeling fairly good and have even had a successful shoe shopping expedition. I continue to feel a little achy but am down to a minimum of pain medication. The nausea comes and goes, but is mostly gone.

Peyton and I stopped by The Buckle yesterday because they were having a shoe sale and we wanted to ensure that I wasn’t caught without a new pair of shoes for my next chemo. That would be terrible, and God bless my daughter for making sure such a tragedy did not occur! Hard to believe, but we were successful in finding not only one, but TWO, yes count em, TWO new pairs of heels. One pair I am “allowed” to wear now and the other has been safely hidden away awaiting the next round of chemo. They are fabulous. Pink and black, too incredibly cute!

My hair started falling out on Monday. I tried to do my hair for work and while styling it I ended up with a handful of hair. I knew it was time to just cut to the chase and get rid of it. I could probably have held on for a few more days, maybe even weeks, gingerly handling my hair and ensuring that it didn’t fall out too fast and stayed on my head, but really, what’s the point? Just get rid of if. One less thing to worry about. I always said that hair was overrated anyway. Peyton had an appointment this morning to get some purple streaks put in her hair, so while she was processing, Reynel shaved my head. It looks pretty good, just like I have a butch cut. Now I look like a biker chick.

Everyday I feel better and better and even made it to the gym today! Can you believe it! I am having a hard time sleeping so I was thinking I’m probably not get enough (any) exercise. So I went to the gym and walked a mile on the treadmill. I figure if I could do that on a regular basis between now and the next chemo I’ll be stronger going into the treatment and hopefully handle it better.

I’m working to improve my diet and was thinking it might be time to go vegetarian again. The evidence is out there to certainly suggest that vegetarianism improves your cancer risk. It’s hard, because people are so kind to bring me food three days per week, so I hate to ask people to cook vegetarian when they aren’t used to it. Especially since my daughter is definitely NOT a vegetarian! So I’m going to just move as much in that direction on my own as I can. I won’t change what people bring but will modify the food I feed myself.

Life is good and I know it’s going to keep getting better and better.