Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Backyard Transformation


I am sitting on the most beautiful patio ever, gazing at the most amazing back yard. It is lovely and low maintenance, and meant to be enjoyed. I was brought to tears last night when I drove up to the house and saw the changes that were made. The parking place for the trash can is fabulous, the sitting area in the front yard, the flower pots. Walking through the gate, the new rock, the cleaning and planting, the deck attractively redone with the long term duration in mind. The basalt rock which follows the new contours of my low maintenance lawn laced with beautiful pots of overflowing flowers. The dog run, complete with gates on both ends and easy access to my roses, my garden (if my grandson Jessie gets his way!) and my strawberries, which he will be picking his next trip here. The blueberries moved to a better, easier access location, again, so I can enjoy them with my grandson and all his enthusiasm over fresh picked berries.


Words escape me. It is fabulous, gorgeous, heart-warming. I am overwhelmed with the response, with the kindness of my extended family, and of people I don’t even know. And not only were there the workers who donated so much time, I know there were countless people who donated money, watched grandkids while their kids worked, gave up time with their family members, prayed for good weather, and generally supported the project. Thank yous just don’t come close. Your kindness has touched the heart of not only me, but my entire family, my pets and everyone who knows me. Kindness like this reaches out like a giant spider web and captures everyone in it, there is no getting out, you are forever stuck in the image of its shimmering beauty (and I don’t particularly like spiders but this is a good analogy).

It’s a little cool out this morning, so I have my warm robe and a hat over my partially bald head. Sophie doesn’t understand why she has to say off part of the lawn, and why won’t that darn sprinkler turn off!! But she is enjoying her time on the patio with me, and I am loving being out here with my pets. This is one of the things I enjoy most in my life and one of the reasons I love my house, the yard. And it has been seriously neglected in the last year due to my illness. It has been mowed and trimmed, but the tender loving care given to a yard by a loving owner is always different. And now, I feel like the love has been infused back into it, a new lease on its loverly life.
I just got off the phone with Jim Hall and he has asked if we can do a media story about the yard. I am happy to do so. I would be so honored to showcase the kindness of my friends, you are amazing people, and if I can share what you have done and inspire others…well that is just a great thing to do! So expect some stories coming up in the local media about the awesome generosity of Kadlec and Garrett Electric and their families. AWESOME!!! I’ll make sure to tell all the wonderful stories about YOU!
I see the doctor today. I have been back on the steroids since Monday morning and have seen a remarkable improvement. My right side still remains weaker than it was last week, but the throbbing in my brain is gone, replaced with the simpler headaches, which are controlled again by pain medication. I want to know why I still need the steroids. Dr. Giever said that he is fairly certain that the radiation got 99% of the tumor cells, so is this just residual swelling from the radiation or is this something else? Is this the 1% they might not have gotten? I am okay staying on the steroids if they help. I hate the swelling (I am beginning to look like an ooompa loompa again, and why didn’t someone – Peyton – tell me that I looked awful in that dress on graduation!! ACK!!!) But the important part is that I am still alive and I was there, but geeze, I wish I’d looked better. I know, vanity is an awful thing, and in 20 years no one is going to care if I looked fat, only that I was there…but let me whine just a moment, okay?? Whining done. I’ll keep you posted on my progress and what the doctor says today.
My mom continues to improve. She feels like she finally turned the corner yesterday and started feeling better. I have yet to talk to her about her sister, but I anticipate a trip to San Diego sooner rather than later, I fear the news is not good. But will keep you informed as I know, and ask for your fervent prayers on their behalf. Mom lost her brother in 1972, mother in 1988, father in 1994 and her sister is all that is left of her direct family. Pray her heart is comforted, and her sister is surrounded with the peace of God’s enduring love. For with thoughts of Him, we can endure any trial, cross any bridge, travel to anyplace, even cross over out of this world, His hand reaching out to help us over. Only God can comfort the heart in times like this, only He knows now to bring us safely to the other side.

So, my dear friends, my warriors, my calvary…thank you…you are my life line in this world, and I don’t think I could make it without you. I am truly blessed beyond belief.