Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Invisible Bridges

A friend of mine gave me a daily devotional book by Charles Swindol. It starts in January, of course, so I have been reading through it to get current so I can then read it every day and be inspired. I read this little tidbit this morning and wanted to share with you its wisdom:

When will we ever learn that there are no hopeless situations, only people who have grown hopeless about them? What appears as an unsolvable problem to us is actually a rather exhilarating challenge. People who inspire others are those who see invisible bridges at the end of dead-end streets. “When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, You knew my path” Psalm 142.3

Invisible bridges at the end of dead end streets. I love that. How many dead end streets do we see everyday? How many times in our life do we turn that corner and think to ourselves, where do we go from here? How do I get out of this dark back alley and back onto the road? Change the perspective, maybe the alley is the path to the super-highway? Maybe that dead end street leads to a beautiful park, an ocean, a bridge, a building filled with people who love you. I think we need to realize that there are no dead end streets, there is always something beyond. Dead end streets are obstacles of our own creation. So create beyond it, see the path ahead, the beauty afar, reach beyond your limits. You will be amazed what you find. For even if it is the end of the street for this place, this planet, there is a road beyond this world that is beyond beautiful, beyond words, beyond our human comprehension. Pure light and love. Don’t limit yourself, reach and stretch and open your eyes for the possibilities. Only you create limits, God created us to be limitless.

Mom is at the doctor, so I’ll be updating her status later. I am praying for a positive outcome, and for her to be healthy and happy for a very long time. I laid there in bed this morning, listening to the birds singing their melody, and talked to God for a very long time. I shared with Him my love for her, my concern, my hope for her future. I prayed that in His infinite wisdom He allows me to spend many more days with my mother; days filled with love, laughter and joy. I have been so fortunate to have amazing parents who continue to bless me well into my adult life. There are not a lot of people my age who still have healthy parents living down the street who actually help take care of them during an illness!! How incredible is that? So maybe I am selfish, when I say I want more more more….but who wouldn’t? Who wouldn’t want this to continue forever? So, I pray that God allows me to maintain this balance in my life, the equilibrium that stable and loving parents provide, no matter how many years pass, no matter your age.

I continue to be completely humbled by the love and support I receive from my friends. My life is so very average, yet people are interested and involved in my daily activities. They know me, my family, my children, my medical conditions. I share it openly and freely, sometimes wondering why anyone would be concerned, but eternally grateful that they are. All I have to give is me, and I give it to you freely. There is no question that is off limits. I know people want to help, and sometimes just don’t know what to say, and fear saying “the wrong thing” or risk offending me. I want to assure you, that won’t happen. You can ask me anything, you can say whatever is in your heart, you can share whatever you feel. I am open to you, there for you, in whatever capacity that would be. How could I not with all that is being done for me? The reciprocity is all I have to give right now, so my life is here to share. Thank you for being a part of it. As I sit in my living room, alone, my heart reaches out to my friends and you are here with me, contributing to this story, supporting me along the way. You are my cane, my walker, the hand I hold.

I pray God continues to rain His blessings down on you and that you find the path at the end of the dead end street. Its there for you…just open your heart to the possibilities.