Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Great Birthday

I wanted to let everyone know it was a perfect birthday. It was filled with my perfect family surrounded by the perfect food, cake and weather. The sunshine surrounded us and placed a warm glow upon the day. When I bit into the watermelon, I let the juice drip down my chin and pool on the counter. I indulged with abandon. The baked beans were wonderful; of course, my mom’s beans are definitely the best baked beans anywhere, anytime. I am spoiled for anyone else’s.

My cake, artfully topped with the appropriate number (which was NOT 29, go figure) from Kelley’s was not only mine, but Jessie’s favorite. He gobbled it up, along with most of a second piece, and sang happy birthday to me flawlessly. You think he might have been practicing all along, just waiting for the day when he gets to sing to his nana.

All in all, it was a great day to get a little older. A great day to be alive.

My treatment continues, uneventful, I have eight whole brain radiation treatments left. Mostly I find myself very tired, weak and lethargic. My head itches, but my hair hasn’t fallen out yet. The headaches continue unabated, and I do the best I can to control them with pain medication. I could lie around all day long so I try to get up and do something during the day, other than just a trip to the cancer center. I am eternally grateful that tomorrow is the first day of my housekeeping service. I think if I had to go another day without my house cleaned I would truly go crazy. I spent some time tonight picking up the house so that the cleaners can get to the rooms to actually clean them. It’s funny to clean the house before you have the house cleaned, but I know you understand how it is! If you are one of those people who donated to help with my housecleaning, please accept this note of thanks. Thank you from the bottom on my heart. I appreciate it so much. It is just one less thing to worry about and my house REALLY needs it!!

I have received so many cards, texts, food, cakes, emails, flowers…it’s truly amazing. It’s humbling to be the object of so much affection, so much love. It envelopes me, and fills me with a warmth that burns to the core of my soul. I thank you, each and every one of you; for all that you are doing for me that helps me through each moment of each day. It’s surreal sometimes to think that I have brain tumors. Its changes the dimension, the perspective of my daily life more than words can say. It becomes the central focus, the centerpointe of everything. I try not to obsess and find a balance between the activities of the day, but there is no way around the truth of it the reality of my life. The preciousness of the moment, the exquisiteness of the day. The fact I get to be here one more day, I am eternally grateful for the gift each day brings. I don’t think there are many things in the world that could give that type of perspective. For in that way, brain tumors are a gift. They really give you a lease on life that you didn’t have before. I am thinking about my future, about the things I want to do why I am still here. I intend on taking chances, doing things I might not have done before. Why not? Time is short; I want to take advantage of all of it that I have left.

So, I’m tired and off to bed. Words fail me, the best I can do is to say thank you thank you thank you for all you do for me. Your love and prayers are getting me through each and every day.