Monday, June 28, 2010

Ironman.

It was a wonderful experience. Both men finished. I have two Ironmen in my family!

This is different than any sporting event I have ever attended. Most sporting events are about the excitement, but this is about the anticipation. As you watch the competitors, you are sending them all the positive energy you have, trying to do all you can to help them continue with the race. You see the exhaustion on their faces, the need to continue, the desire to continue. And you want so much for them to be able to continue. It is grueling, demanding, arduous and thrilling. At the same time you are watching for the face of your competitor, your loved one. Wanting so much to see their face, to see them making it, hitting the turnaround times. And when you do, your heart soars…they are still in the race, they are going to make it…at least until the next turnaround…

I never had any doubt that Mike could complete the race in 17 hours. The tricky part is hitting the set in stone turnaround times; if you aren’t out of the water at 2.5 hours, that’s its; your done. Even if you know that you could make the time up on the bike or the run, it doesn’t matter. Then there are set turnaround times during each leg of the race. We watched the internet, waiting with great anticipation for them to clock in at those mandatory times, each time breathing a huge sigh of relief, yes, yes yes, they are doing it!!

So the final tally is Mike finishing at 16:33:22 and Jason at an amazing time of 14:40:22. We are incredibly proud of our Ironmen!!

I overdid it a bit, I have to admit that. I am beyond exhausted today, hoarse, sore throat, which I already had that has gone to the upper extreme limits. I feel like I have an anvil sitting on my chest. But, I got to live the experience and that is what life is about, the experience, the journey. The chemo is here, it is in me, it is doing its job. Now I rest. I rest and let it work, and I let that cocktail do the job it was designed to do, to kill those cancer cells back to nothingness. And I watch the symptoms, take my pills, drink my tea to soothe my throat and let my family and friends take care of me.

So, off to rest on the couch, become a slug and will let you know tomorrow how I’m feeling. Every day is a new experience with arrival of fresh symptoms and cures. I sit back, relax and let this chemo win. I've seen it, witnessed it, am inspired, and now I’m in my own version of the Ironman, and I plan on crossing the finish line!