Sunday, June 27, 2010

IRONMAN!!

I made it to Couer d’Alene with Ruth. Yea!! I am so honored and excited to be a part of this big event in the lives of my family!!

Well, the competitors are off to the races!! They had a good night settled in with the family eating pasta, chicken, stretching and generally relaxing before the big day. There was a sense of excitement and energy surrounding them, a giddiness like no other as they prepare for the big day. An Ironman. Do you realize HOW FAR that is? Do you realize what their human bodies will have to endure during this day to finish this competition? They will start with two 1.2 miles laps in lake CDA. After that, they will transition to their bike gear and do two laps around the scene CDA mountains totaling 112.4 miles. Then its off to run a full marathon. 26.2 miles. And all this must be accomplished between 7am and midnight. 17 hours. Makes my journey the last year seem easy, I mean, who can do this!! I know Jason and Mike can, that is for sure! While I write this, they are marked and waiting for the swim along with about 2600 other competitors. There are about 400 “professionals” who also compete and start earlier, but the bulk of the race are regular people, like Mike and Jason, who just want to do something extraordinary in their lives. I am so proud of them.

The wind is blowing a little, which will be hard on the water portion. I heard it was pretty choppy out on the lake yesterday, but if there is one thing we cannot control is the weather!

So off we go, I’ll keep you posted…