Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Traveling Home

Today I’m moderately better. My head is back to just hurting, not throbbing. I would dare say that perhaps the swelling is decreasing, at least from my perspective. The right side weakness is still more pronounced than it was over the weekend, but not as bad at the beginning (thank God). My lungs still hurt a little, but that is more than likely just the altitude. Its funny, I remember when my grandparents would come to visit us in Colorado when we were kids and I couldn’t understand why they would get so short of breathe! Now that I’m the one that lives barely above sea level, I can feel the mile high thin air. Never thought I’d see that day! I’m hoping when I get back to a normal altitude, my lungs will also go back to normal. Whatever normal is!

I am so glad I made the trip. Being here to see my brothers face was awesome; but I’m glad to be going home. I should have thought it through more, staying for the week, but I really didn’t know that I would relapse so quickly without the steroids, or how exhausting the traveling would be. This is a good lesson. For some reason I think that once treatment is over, I bounce back to normal right away and I need to learn that the recovery will take some time. I need to be more patient with me, with all that my body has been through. My body has survived devastating cancer; I need to give it a little break, eh? Its going to take time. And patience is a virtue that I am still working on.

So I’m going to have lunch with my bro and sis-in-law then Bill will take me to the airport. I talked to the airlines and Bill basically just kicks me to the curb with an airline representative and they have assured me that they will provide handicap access all the way to the gate. Bill did say he would slow down before he throws me out of the car, so no worries there, I’ll make it to the curb safely. :-) I can probably make it through the Paso airport…but through Denver International…I don’t think so. Considering I flew in to gate 99, the odds are good that I will fly out at an equally long away gate, not to mention the travel on the underground train; I know that assistance is required. Another thing I never thought I would experience…me in a wheelchair being transported through the airport. I know that it is a service that they provide, people do it everyday, but to be the one receiving the assistance; well that is another humbling experience. This has given me some empathy, some perspective to those who have traveled this way before me. Yeah, its cool you get to ride on the spiffy little transportation cart, and its pretty handy to be the first one on the plane so you get to the overhead compartment first and get to stake out the armrests ahead of everyone else, but truth be told, I’d rather be walking on to the plane under my own volition, just like everyone else. However for now, its not an option and I will be the happiest and easiest to handle handicapped person they transport. I will make their day, make them smile, make them glad that they received me as their assignment. I will bring some sunshine into the life of a United Airline employee or two!

I can’t wait to see my backyard tonight! I am so excited! I wanted to acknowledge the volunteers that spent their precious time to transform my backyard. And this is only the people that worked; this doesn’t even count all the people who also donated money! I am humbled and grateful for what’s been done. I have said it before and I’ll say it again, to be the recipient of so much love, it is an incredible experience. Below is an email from Jason Rose, the Project Manager, and my skydiving buddy. He is a remarkable person and I am forever indebted to him for his kindness. His collaboration with Janet Brinkerhoff just make my heart smile. Look at the list, there are people on this list who not only don’t know me, they don’t even work for Kadlec. God bless you!! The kindness just extends way beyond our family, we never know where our sphere of influence reaches. So everyday when you smile at the grocery store at that overworked clerk, or give a break to the parent behind you with the screaming child, or let that person cut you off in traffic without thinking the worse thing about them, or a myriad of other things that you face everyday and you choose to face with a smile and a bit of human kindness, you make a little change to this world. Each one of those small and random acts of kindness extend out, changing our world for the better.

From: Jason Rose:
What started out with Janet Brinkerhoff asking for a little help to pull a few weeds at Patty Taylor’s house turned into a wonderful transformation of her yard. After two days of hard work, dedication, sweat, sore muscles and few sun burns, we were successfully able to turn Patty’s back yard into something beautiful which we hope she will be able to sit back and enjoy. I would personally like to thank all the people who contributed their time and money to this wonderful project.
Volunteers
JASON ROSE (He didn’t put himself in!!)
Janet Brinkerhoff (Plant Operations)
Don Thornton (Plant Operations)
Jean Schalasky (Plant Operations)
Dave Schalasky
Keith Berry (Plant Operations)
Jason Rose (Plant Operations)
Jerry Calvert (IS)
Joey Willis (IS)
Kevin Willis
Zach Willis
Vincent Magallon (IS)
Matt Wells (IS)
Tim Harper (IS)
D.J. Harper
Chase Walther (Education)
Carla May (Emergency Department)
Nick Naccarato (Garrett Electric)
Annie Naccarato (Garrett Electric)
Brook Wiser (Garrett Electric)
Mary Rosen (Garrett Electric)
Amy Rosen (Garrett Electric)
Jack Lockridge (Garrett Electric)
Shannen Free (Garrett Electric)
Deena Shaw (Garrett Electric)
Chris Fox (Garrett Electric)
Wendy Gehrig (Admin)
Dave Gerhig
Pam Knutson (KRMC Board)
Amy Nixon (Cath Lab)
Rich Nixon

Thank you. From the bottom of my heart. You are my hero, my Calvary. Words fall short, but they are all I have. Thank you. You changed my life for the better.

God Bless you. Safe travels today. I will post pictures tonight!!!