Sunday, June 13, 2010

Suprise Party!!

A wonderful time was had by all. This has been such a fun secret to keep, and challenging. Let me share with you the story.

A couple of weeks ago my mother mentioned that she was going to Denver. Curious, I inquired as to the reason for the trip. She reluctantly shared with me that my sister in law had been working to plan a surprise party for my brother for his 50th birthday which actually occurred back in April. Rhonda had not yet shared the plans with me for a few reasons…1) the plans had not been finalized and 2) she was worried I would not be able to make the trip with my current medical challenges. Let me tell you, I had every intention of making the trip, sick or not, I was going. I was NOT missing my brothers surprise birthday party!! So, we quickly assessed the dates and prices and determined that YES, Mike and I were definitely going to Denver!! The party was on the 12th and my radiation ended on the 11th, so there was no medical reason not to go, and the flight costs were reasonable out of Spokane…so….reservations were made and lips were sealed. As my brother came to Washington state last weekend for Peyton’s graduation those who knew we were going were sworn to secrecy, they took their burden seriously and nothing was said about the trip. We effectively kept the secret from my brother!

Originally, my parents also had reservations to come, but with mom’s fractured leg, she was unable to make the trip, which was disappointing. It would have been perfect to have them here, but we made do, and they were definitely here in spirit.

It was fun to see everyone. Bill had friends from high school show up, as did I! My best friend starting when I was 8 years old…Loveable Luscious Laura the Lily of Louisiana lives in Lafayette (another “L”) came by, which was amazing!! Back then my name was Pretty Precious Patty the Pride of the Prairie. We were “named” by one of the neighbors almost 40 years ago, and the monikers stick to this day. It was incredible to catch up, to see the faces which have not changed that much, at least not from my perspective. The hearts are the same, the stories we share, life that has unfolded together and apart. It’s a beautiful thing.

I am feeling pretty puny this morning. I may have overdid it a bit last night, Friday night I got very little sleep with the drive to Spokane and the early flight, then with everyone over last night I stayed up way too late, had a bit too much activity and the effects of the radiation are taking its toll, but it is worth every discomfort. To see the look on my brother’s face when he walked in the door, to share this time with my family and friends, its moments like this that make a lifetime. And this was a moment of a lifetime.

Mike is flying home Monday morning and I am going to go ahead and stay until Thursday. I am done with radiation and have no obligations until my CT scan on Friday, so I will be a lady of leisure this week, relaxing at the house in the country. While Bill and Rhonda work I'll be reading, blogging, sleeping, relaxing.

Capture those moments in your life. Each and every one of them. Seize them. If you get a chance, take it. It’s those memories, those moments that make a life, creating a lifetime of memories worth sharing forever.