Friday, August 28, 2009

A Busy Day

Well today is a big day. It was preceded by a big evening at the rodeo. I haven't heard how much money was raised, but I know the goal was $15,000 to be used in our local community to pay for mammograms and cancer treatment for women who cannot afford it. I think this is an excellent cause to be involved in, and I am so proud I was able to participate in my small way. I didn't have as many survivors show up to ride the trolley as I have had in the past and I feel like I should have worked harder to get the people signed up and to the rodeo, but I guess I can only do what I can do, and when people no show, they have their reasons. But it is still disappointing when you have alot of no-shows. But those of us that were there had a great time, representing the face of breast cancer and giving hope for survival. I ended up handing out prize money to the cowboys, which is always fun. My boss, Rand, was supposed to do it but he wasn't able to make it at the last minute and since I had done it in the past, they asked me. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it all night, but the adrenaline of the evening kicked in and I made it all the way to the end, through the bull riders! I love going up above the chutes and watching those cowboys tie themselves down to a 2000 pound bull. Those boys are crazy, but so much fun to watch! I had a backup ready to step in should I get too tired, but I am proud to say I made it to the very end!

I spoke to my doctor yesterday and she is very surprised I am feeling as good as I am and that I was even thinking about going to the fair! Apparently my red cells are not doing well and, in fact, are at a critically low level. My platelets, hematacrit and hemoglobin are all critically low, requiring a blood transfusion. Yeah, that's right, a transfusion. That explains why I have been SO incredibly tired this week. I have been assured that I will feel MUCH better after the transfusion. So watch out world, Saturday is going to ROCK for me! I am going to have so much energy and feel so awesome! I can't wait!

So my day looks something like this...
I just finished my breakfast, cereal and melon, the last food I can have until after my CT scan. I am finishing my coffee, the last drink I get to have until after my CT scan. At 8:15 I start drinking the contrast liquid and will drink it for 3 hours prior to the CT. Before my CT I need to run to the lab to have some blood drawn so they can do the type and cross for the transfusion. Then its off to the CT, and as soon as that is over, we will (hopefully) run over to Dr. Iuliano's office and get a quick look at the scan to see what is up and how I'm doing. I need to be at outpatient oncology at noon to start the transfusions, they are planning on two units, which will take 3-4 hours. So I'm taking my knitting, my computer and my book. I'll be right there at Kadlec, so I could probably get some work done! I have a physical therapy appointment at 5pm which I should be able to make, so should finally be home around 6pm. Whew. I feel tired just thinking about all this!

I am hopeful that everything will go well today. Mike will be there with me every step of the way and I thank God for his fortitude. I really lean on him, he is my rock and my strength. When I have nothing left, he gives me all of his. He never falters, never moves away, he stays unchanging, uncomplaining and strong. I don't know how I would have made it through this without him. I am so grateful that he is in my life, I have to get well so I can spend the rest of my life thanking him for taking such good care of me.

Prayers for a good CT and a safe transfusion. I'll post all the results later today.

Love, peace and hope for a great tomorrow!