Friday, August 21, 2009

My blood counts rock!

I have found the secret to increasing my platelets... the beach. They were totally amazed at my platelet count yesterday, not only was it high enough to get chemo, it was more than twice as high as it needed to be! To put it in perspective, under 100 is not good, I was at 95 when I got my last treatment. The chemo really affects your platelets, so they were very concerned about my ability to get this treatment. And where did my platelets land this week, you ask?? 218. Oh yeah! I think it does prove the only way for the body to regenerate is to rest, rest, rest. And that is what I did on the beach. Rest. So, now if I can find a way to be at the beach after every chemo for a few days, THEN I'd be getting better! Anyone got a beach house I can borrow??

So, I got dose 2 of round 3 and am feeling okay. Tired and a little sick to my stomach, but mostly tired. I just want to sit around and do nothing, read, watch TV, email. Its sort of a butt numbing existence. I had PT yesterday and she really wants me to start to exercise, walking, everyday for at least 10-30 minutes. No matter how tired I am. So I still have a gym membership and I'm going to try to commit to hit the gym to walk on the treadmill for 10-30 minutes a day. I can do that. She thinks that by exercising it will help to combat the fatigue. I'm all for that. I have been wasting all that money on the gym, might as well use it. And maybe it will keep my butt from getting wider than it already is, that is a good thing too. Between the steroids and the lack of exercise, I'm getting a little round.

So I'm home for the next few days, resting and recovering and back to the grind on Monday. I have a busy week next week, especially with the rodeo and working on the Tough Enough to Wear Pink Night. I'm coordinating the survivors for the trolley that opens up the rodeo that night and I have to admit I got a late start on it and am hoping to get a good turnout. I've ask for a few radio spots and an ad in the paper, so look for information about the survivors at Tough Enough to Wear Pink. If you know a breast cancer survivor that wants to participate, please get them in touch with me!! They get free tickets to the fair!

The patio is a bit breezy this morning, so I'm not sure how long I'll tough it out. Everything is being blown around and the wind is cool on my head. I think I might have to wear a hat if I'm going to stay out here! The wind might blow away some of that heat, and that would be good! I certainly don't handle the heat well.


I got the most awesome surprise yesterday that I have to share with you. You know my friend Deana who had the terrible experience with the possible ovarian cancer, who is totally fine now (Thank GOD!!)? Well, she got me new SHOES! There were these incredible Naughty Monkey's that I had been looking at over at The Buckle for months, but they never ever went on sale. I was so bummed, I won't buy them if they aren't on sale. Well, whaddya ya know, I get a package from The Buckle yesterday and its the SHOES!! Deana got them for me! Now, I don't think she should have, she didn't need to, and it was totally unexpected... BUT I'M SO GLAD SHE DID!! I can't wait to wear my new shoes to work on Monday! I wish I'd got them earlier for chemo, but that's okay, the Charles David's were okay, and the new purse looked fabulous! Thank you Deana, I LOVE MY NEW SHOES!! Are they the cutest, or what?! I was so excited, it totally made my day yesterday. I was wearing them with my robe last night, looking pretty stylin!

Love to you all, keep praying. Next week is rebound week and then I get my CT with good news!!