Sunday, August 9, 2009

Im In San Francisco

I'M IN SAN FRANCISCO!! Woo Hoo AND I have already found Norstroms, Saks, Neiman Marcus, Louis Vitton, Kate Spade, Juicy Couture... the list goes on and on. What a retail heaven this place is, I can't wait to go shopping! Ok, for real, I don't really get to buy the designer stuff, but its sure is fun to walk in and just be around the couture clothing, shoes, bags and accessories. I mean they just scream wealth and privilege and buy me (if you can). Its a taunt, and one that I am resistant to, but a taunt none the less. The leather so plush and supple, the suede coyly brushed, the fabrics soft and slide through your fingers like water through a sieve. The sales clerks are snotty and over privileged, like they can actually afford the wares that they are pedaling. HELLO?! This stuff is ridiculously overpriced! But, alas, still it warms my heart to just walk through the stores. I check sale racks in case I can find some incredible sale that I just can't pass up. Most men have no idea how this could in even the most remote sense of the word be "fun", but ladies who shop, I know you are getting it. Its the potential. Just dreaming of owning! Pretending that I actually belong in that store, the clerks don't know if you can afford it, and you know, its not that I can't buy, I simply understand it doesn't fit in my budget. :-)

Ok, I've done more than just a run through designer stores. I went on a ferry to Alcatraz yesterday. Everyone warned me to beware of the cold, take a jacket, etc, etc. So I heeded the warning even though the sun was shining brightly. AND, I'm glad I heeded the warning, even though I didn't need my jacket. Cuz you never know when you'll need a jacket! But the day was perfect and beautiful. It was a little cold on the ferry ride over and when you opened the door to the recreation yard from the prison, wow, that was freezing! What I didn't know is that this weekend was the 75th Anniversary of Penitentiary on Alcatraz. So its was super packed, but the postal service was there sending postcards with a special postmark, so I sent postcards to both the kids from the Rock. It was cool. I hooked up with a few friends from last year. Most of the time hung out with Sharon from Michigan. We had a fabulous time. After Alcatraz we went to fisherman's wharf for an hour or so, but it was so packed with people I didn't find it to be very enjoyable. I don't like crowds that big. I mean elbow to elbow packed. Summer in San Francisco!!
Last night there was a wonderful dinner for members of the Editorial Board for The Governance Institute, of which I am a member. It was a fun dinner and the food was excellent. I did make it back to my room by nine and I was looking at the inside of my eyelids not long after 10. I was exhausted. BUT I MADE IT!!! I made it all day doing what I wanted to do and living my life! I am so grateful that this trip didn't get taken away from me and that I am getting to experience every part of it. I love to travel and go new places and I haven't been to San Francisco since the early 80's. Its changed alot!
Today I am relaxing a while this morning in my room, and then the conference starts at 1pm. I might try to find Nordstroms Rack this morning. I admit it, I'm cheap. I'd rather shop at the Rack. I want deals for my money!!
I realized this morning when I woke up that I missed my dog. Usually she is right next to me and when she knows I am awake she crawls over to be right next to me. Her cold nose in my armpit, so happy her mommy is awake. I miss my kids. When I get up they aren't usually awake yet, but they are there and I know they are going to come join me on the patio when they wake up and I'll get to hear about their days. I miss my Mike. This trip would just be better if he was here. I miss my parents. Its my mom's 74th birthday. I wish I was with her.
Its funny how much you want to be somewhere else, then you get there and realize, that there is truly no place like home. Dorothy had it right. San Fran has the glitter and glamour, but like Oz, it just isn't home. So I'll have my fun, enjoy every sight and sound, treasure every moment of this trip and then I'll click my heels three times, board a Horizon flight and go home. Cuz when it comes down to it, Home, that is were my heart resides and my favorite place to be.