Saturday, August 1, 2009

A perfect day

Storms pass. They always do. And then they leave a wake of calm. The tempest comes in with a wail, making all a fuss, stirring everything up. Then its gone, and in its place is a sense of calm and serenity. The memory of the storm remains, but the chaos has left. The storm passed Friday. I slept a wonderful night. Peaceful, pain free. Awoke early feeling refreshed.

I hit my patio early on Saturday morning, ready to enjoy the freedom and fresh morning air and what a treat I was in for my day! My children, both awake early for their own reasons (miracle upon miracle) came and joined me. So I got to spend the morning in my favorite place in the world, with my two awesome kids visiting me, talking about life, the day, the pets. Just enjoying each other's company. It was the perfect morning. Made even more perfect by a stop by from Angela Ball with a few Starbucks! Thanks Angela! You helped make a perfect day even more perfect.

Yesterday was a perfect day. It was perfect because I forgot I had cancer and just had a day of normalcy. I felt great. I worked outside for a little while and I realize how much I miss tending my garden and my flowers. Something about watching them grow, weeding, pruning, its all so cathartic. I walked the dogs with mom, dad, Mike, Eleana, Houston and Jessie, and what a joy that was watching the animals run around, the puppy acting like a "big dog" and Jessie chasing them all everywhere. He let his Nana help him down to the river and carry him around for awhile, his dirty little hand prints all up and down my shirt and dirty shoes on my legs. It was fabulous. After the walk I went and bought groceries. Now that might not sound fun to any of you, but it was amazing. Here I was, doing stuff I normally do, without a care in the world. I bought healthy stuff, but more than my share of Little Debbies and chips and all sorts of comfort food. Then it was off to my kitchen for the afternoon where I whipped up some of my killer blueberry coffee cake (which I just had for breakfast, oh yeah, its good) and dinner for my family. Chicken Penne Pasta with Creamy Pesto Sauce, pine nuts and sun dried tomatoes, fresh summer squash, fresh salad and sundaes for dessert. Wow. It was a wonderful dinner, set on a perfect summer table with my family around me. It was such an average day but absolutely perfect in my eyes and in my world.

Peyton, Mike and I kicked back to watch a movie The Haunting in Connecticut which was scary, but not too bad, and then Peyton and I watched Sex in the City for some lightheartedness before going to bed.

While you read this you might be thinking, so what? This is a day that everyone has, buy groceries, cook dinner, go for a walk... but think about it if you couldn't do it? How much would you miss being able to have just that regular things in your life? I realize that is what I miss, the normal stuff. The average stuff, the having the energy and desire to cook dinner or buy groceries. Having the energy to spend time with my family. The love that binds us is set in time. We need that time together to refresh and renew and remind ourselves why we we are a family who loves each other. And I am very lucky, because I have a really awesome and loving family. We really like each other and enjoy our time together. I am so blessed.

I am hoping for another normal day. As I sit here on the patio I don't have the energy I had yesterday, but no less desire to go and have my day my way. Angela Ball is my saint and hero this week and is bringing dinner tonight, so I am looking forward to comfort food this evening, chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, rolls.... your good ol' comfort Sunday dinner. So I will focus my energies on doing those things that made me happy, spending time with my family and my life's love, Mike.

So as you go throughout your day, think of those normal things that you would miss so much if you couldn't do it. So many times we bemoan our daily chores, but really, imagine your day without them? Would you miss being able to do those simple things that take care of your life and your family? I think you'd be surprised to find that its it the most simple things in the world that make the biggest difference in your life. Enjoy every single moment, each one is a precious gift. Love and light to all of you my friends.