Friday, October 2, 2009

Back on Track

It’s a cold and dark morning, nary a ray of light at 6am around here, so I have relegated myself to the fireplace rather than the patio. I am sure I’ll get outside later, but for now. The warm glow of the fireplace seems just perfect for this day. I love the first time I get to light off my fireplace. It is one of those quintessential signals that fall is in the air. When it is too cold or dark to be outside and the rocking chair calls my name. It’s a gas fireplace, so it’s not like I have to build a fire or anything. Just turn on the gas, prime the pilot light, and I’m good to go.

Well, I got chemo. My counts have rebounded pretty good; I just wish I felt better. I feel okay, but not great. The doctors say that it is a cumulative effect of the chemo as my body gets more tired and my bone marrow has a harder time reproducing my red blood cells. They have cut my Gemzar, the chemo that affects my blood counts the hardest, down by 20% to try to keep me on schedule for the rest of the chemo. They are concerned that if they give me the full dose, then I will end up getting off schedule as my body becomes unable to rebound. They aren’t planning on extending the chemo, which was my first question, they simply start as high as they can on the dose and then are able to bring it down a little bit part way through if needed. So, that’s what they did. Its just a little reduction, no big deal, I’m sure.

Sara, my friend and PT, and I chatted a bit last night at Tai Chi, and we figure that the other stuff I’m doing, the yoga, the Tai Chi, the walking, the meditation will make up for the 20%. I am working hard on eating healthy and have really upped my fruits and vegetables and am working on really lowering the fat. I am going to continue to take in limited amounts of lean meats, because I did notice that I need the protein to keep my red counts up. The week I didn’t rebound hardly at all I was eating almost completely vegetarian and I wonder if I didn’t get enough protein to get the hemoglobin up.

Okay, so I think you are totally caught up on the medical stuff. I’m doing really well and am back on track. I have nine weeks left, six weeks to my next CT. I still get easily short of breath and I’m more tired that usual, I’m achy, my teeth hurt, the peripheral neuropathy will set in a few days, I’m nauseous and my back hurts. Things are right back to normal! Easy days are gone. Back in the battle, back in the fight!

One update I think you are missing is the latest shoe count. Tina and I went to DSW in Portland when we were coming home from Breitenbush and she got me a fabulous pair of green pumps, which I really needed. I had no green shoes, a travesty! These are a deep Kelly green with a wood tone spike heel and slightly rounded toe. Totally classy. I picked up a pair of purple and brown Naughty Monkey’s on clearance for $15. Can you believe it!? They are suede and soft with a square toe about a 4” purple heel and a big gold buckle on the front. Sensational. My mom has gotten away from the shoes (can you believe she might think I have enough shoes, now really!) and has bought me a Chimera Charm Bracelet and has been getting me charms for each chemo. Is that sweet or what? Those of you who know me well know I’m a gypsy at heart and will wear 17 bracelets at a time! So, I have another permanent one to add to the collection. There were three bracelets that I wear all the time, this one makes four, and then each day I add to that according to what I’m wearing. Its true, I’m not just a shoe collector. I’m also a jewelry junkie.

Busy day today, the puppy and kitty have to be at the vet at 9am and be picked up at 2pm. In the meantime I have PT and have to run a few errands. I hope to be out walking the dogs by 8am so they get a walk before Spohie heads out to surgery. So sad. I took her food away last night and she was such a little beggar, following me around trying to get kibbles from me! And this morning we always have treats in the morning, and no treats. Its devastating for her! She keeps waiting for her little gems of goodness from the jar on the table and it’s a no go! I am glad I can still leave water for her. But the poor little girl is starving! And giving me those looks with those big brown puppy eyes. I barely have the fortitude to resist her! Betsy, the kitty, isn’t too happy either. Wandering around looking for her food and trying to get out of the house. My pets. I need a few more of them.

The highlight of the day is going to be dinner at gmas! Mike’s birthday is Sunday and he is going to be in Portland with Jason (his son) to run the Portland marathon, so mom is giving him a send off comprised of some rocking hot green chili. He should be able to run better, he’ll be primed on some excellent Mexican food. Woo hoo! Happy birthday Mike! He is 57 this Sunday and will be running 26.2 miles. More power to him. I think I’ll take a 26.2 minute nap in his honor.

I think you are up-to-date. My attitude continues to be positive; in fact in Breitenbush I was called Positive Patty. I have absolutely no doubt that I’ll sail through the next nine weeks, with another phenomenal CT scan in six weeks. Keep the prayers coming, keep the attitudes great, and go make it a fabulous Friday and a wonderful weekend!

Love and kisses.
Patty