Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Keep praying for 33,000!!

I have found that the lower my blood counts get, the harder it is to keep the despair from creeping into my thoughts. And the longer my counts stay down, the deeper that despair becomes, a darkness that creeps into your spirit and threatens my very soul. So I am glad that they went ahead and did the blood transfusion today. Although the blood doesn’t directly affect the platelets that I need so desperately, they are important to my ability to keep my attitude positive. With low red blood counts, the exhaustion is so overwhelming that I have a hard time focusing on the positive in life and the awesome things that are waiting in my future.

In addition to having the transfusion, I have worked hard to eat foods that will increase my iron. I should be doing this on a regular basis, but when I am so exhausted that I can barely get up my stairs, cooking is just not part of the plan. So I am confident that my energy levels will increase quickly and I’ll be able to take better care of myself.

But, I still need 33,000 platelets by tomorrow. Its gonna take a miracle, but I just know that we can pray and positive thought our way to 100,000 platelets!! I did talk to my nurse this morning when I stopped by the cancer center to have them access my port before my transfusion, and she said that we might just be able to put the chemo off just one day. I might not be able to increase 33,000 in one day, but should be able to pump them up that much in two. So I may just have to wait one day rather than an entire week. I’m okay with that. I can wait one day if I have to, but I certainly don’t want to wait an entire week. I want to be done in 6 weeks, not 7!

I was reading today in CURE magazine about some great clinical trials going on for Triple Negative Breast Cancer. There are a lot of good trials showing some great results in battling this disease. So I can make it through this battle, then I just need to make it through until a cure is found. They are working on a cure, I want to be part of the it!

Just another good reason to survive this insipid disease.