Saturday, October 10, 2009

Change your world!

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.”

Is your life worth watching? When you look back in 1, 5, 10, 50 years are you going to be pleased with the life you led or are you going to be filled with “I wishes” and “what ifs”. I saw this quote and it got me thinking about that. When I look back on my life is there enough time with others or too much time by myself? Did I spend enough time reaching out or too much time reaching in? Did I laugh enough? Did I cry enough? Did I share my tears with others? Did I bring the world into my joy or did I keep it all to myself? Did my actions make this world a better place and enhance the lives of the people around me?

Looking back from right now I say, not enough. I can do more, you can do more, we can do more. I don’t know if we can ever do enough to make this world a better place. There is so much negativity, sadness, disease and despair and it’s hard to be a beacon of light in the midst of so much darkness. But we can try and we can try harder. It comes down to being kind to ourselves, our earth and our fellow man. I think I succeeded yesterday in changing a clerk’s attitude. I was buying paint (the paint project is going well, by the way, more on that later) and she was just not very nice. She was rude and snippy with me. I just didn’t have the answers quick enough or understand what she was saying, and she quickly became annoyed with me, my request and the questions I was asking about the paint project. My instinct was to get nasty right back at her. And for a fleeting moment, I thought I would, but I was tired and felt pretty puny and honestly, didn’t have the energy to be mean. How’s that for tired? So I let her be rude and I just kept being nice, smiling, staying calm…even when she messed up my order. By the time the interaction was complete, the clerk had changed her tune and was apologetic and agreeable and thankful for my patience. So I had to think, maybe it wasn’t really me she was being nasty with, maybe it was the customer before me who wasn’t patient and who was rude to her and set her day on end. What a lesson. “Thanks for your patience.” My pleasure.

I think sometimes when people communicate with us we forget that their attitude is a direct result of the previous interactions that day and the things going on in their lives. Like when someone cuts you off in traffic. I am the first person who wants to yell “idiot” and give them the finger, but I try to think…I have cut people off too and I didn’t do it on purpose, it just happens. You aren’t paying attention, you have too much on your mind, your kid just ask you where babies came from…whatever. But something distracted you and you made a mistake. Can’t we give each other a little break? Next time you interact with someone, try to take into consideration that there is something more going on in their lives than just that association with you. They may have had bad news today, their shoes may be hurting their feet, their baby may be sick, their mom may be dying, their lover may have left them, their mortgage may be overdue, it could be one of a thousands things that affect our lives everyday. So bring light into their day. Be the sunshine, not the sorrow. Be the rainbow, not the rain. I know that together, one person, one relationship, one interaction at a time; we can make this world a better place. I want to look back on my life in 30 years and say, yes, this was a life worth living.

So, update on the painting project. I had to switch the green yesterday and I went with a deeper “tree moss” green which I was worried would be too dark. I put it on the wall and loved it and went off to buy a gallon. I consulted with LaNinya, my interior design expert, on which wall to paint dark and she told me to do the wall with the biggest piece of furniture. I was a little apprehensive how it would turn out, and I love it!! Great advice, LaNinya! So I got a green wall in my bedroom now and a green wall in my bathroom. And all I can think is, wow, I love it, why has it taken me so long to do this! I listened to a book on CD while working and the day just flew by. I took lots of breaks, visited with my parents, my kids, ate Scooby Snacks and drank tea. It made for a wonderful day. By the time I was done, I was tired, but not overtired and I slept well last night with a sense of accomplishment. And woke up to a darker room…Gotta get the yellow up now! I have lots of touch up work to do, I’m pretty OCD when it comes to straight lines and the painters tape just doesn’t cut it. Most straight lines are done best by hand. So today I’m off to walk to dogs and then to set up for the next color…”End of the Rainbow.”

Before signing off for the day, I wanted to take a moment to brag about my son. He is working now, which I am so thrilled about, and is trying very hard to put his life together. He has such a brilliant, creative mind; I look forward to seeing what he will become when it finally all comes meshes for him. But he has had a lot of hurtles to go over and still has a lot of roadblocks in his path. But, he is trying. I see it and it makes me proud. He is working at Pizza Hut and this week he was named Employee of the Week. He wins a few movie tickets and gets his name up on the wall. A little recognition goes a long way, not to mention it’s an opportunity for me to watch Jessie while they go to the movies! Just my little contribution to his success. (I know, so altruistic of me.) I see him trying, I see him working and as frustrated as I get, I see hope and light and love. Those are good things to see.

So I’m off to bundle up and walk my doggies in the cold fall weather. Its crisp and refreshing and just a perfect way to start the day. Go make this a great day. Change someone’s world.