Wednesday, October 14, 2009

No transfusion! Yea!

Well, my red counts are not as bad as I thought. I’m low on my reds and platelets, but not as low as I have been in the past, so I won’t need a transfusion. However, my whites are very low and I’m very neutropenic, which is the first time during this treatment that I have been this neutropenic. Neutropenia is when your immune system is compromised and you are unable to fight off infections. I knew something was wrong, I just didn’t know what it was except that I knew I wasn’t feeling right. So between the low, but not dangerously low, red counts and the very very low white count, I guess that explains why I’m feeling pretty crappy.

Even though I don’t need a transfusion I will have to have a few neupogen shots which are designed to boost my white count. When your white count is compromised, they recommend that you really don’t go out much, just stay at home and chill out. So…I was supposed to have some famous Juan Sanchez Carne Asada tonight, but no go on that, and I think my lunch at the Club tomorrow is also canceled. Unless I want to wear a mask, and eating lunch with a mask might be a little bit difficult.

I’m stuck home for the next few days while I try to get my blood to rebound. I did take the dogs for a quick walk, it’s a bit chilly out but feels good to be out in the sunshine. I’ll keep plugging along, finish my book and maybe start another one, check email, talk to my daughter, snuggle with my dog, catch up on my TV shows. All in all, it won’t be bad, maybe just a bit boring! I’ll try to write some inspiring stuff to share with you while I’m sitting around.

Talk to you soon.

Love,
Patty