Monday, October 5, 2009

Miracles

There are miracles everywhere; I think sometimes we just don’t see them. I think we are sitting back and waiting for Lazarus to be raised from the dead or for a blind man to be healed. I am not saying those miracles don’t happen, because I think they do in the quiet stillness of hospital rooms and homes, when you least expect. I am sure every medical professional can tell you a story of a miracle that took their breath away.

But what about the everyday miracles? What about the fact that no matter what the darkness of the night, the sun still rises and shines. Who hung the sun there and told it to rise? Who told the moon to rotate just like that so we can share in its brilliance? What about the oceans? Who put them there so their tides would shape our world? Nature is astounding, a miracle beyond belief. How does that butterfly hang there in the air, or that hummingbird, how could it possibly be so fast? How do the flowers know when to shine their faces to the light, or the venus flytrap know when to close its bloom? The trees are starting their change towards the winter cold. How do they know to change? How do they know it is time for us to see the intensity of their gold, reds, yellows, brown and all shades in-between?

What about the everyday miracles in our life, not just in nature. What about the fact that I woke up this morning, I was breathing despite the disease that is ravaging my lungs. I could open my eyes and see the sun peering through the edges of the curtains and hear my dog breathing next to me, her paw on my shoulder. Awake with the knowledge of my family secure inside my home, food in the cupboard, water in the pipes, heat in the furnace. All they need safely ensconced inside the walls of our home. And across this town and this country, my friends and family, safe in their homes, waiting for their days to begin. Fighting their own battles, their own demons, but secure in the fact that the day has begun. The sun has risen, as promised; the dawn has brought new hope.

The miracle of a child’s love. Pure and unselfish. The unbelievable miracle of a parents love, second only to God’s love for us. We model our love after Him but can only come close to the wonder and purity of its glory. God makes miracles in our lives everyday. We just fail to notice. Quit watching for the big bang, and instead become aware of the small wonders of life. The little things that make your life worth living. The love and companionship of those around you. The majesty of our world. The grace that abounds from our heavenly beings. The grace we give each other.

Watch for those every day miracles. The simple things, the beauty that surrounds you as you walk along this daily journey called life.