Sunday, October 4, 2009

A little about Love

Love is such a beautiful thing. It’s a cliché, I know, but it is so true. Think of those people in your life that you love, the power of that love can be so overwhelming, so pure and genuine.

My children and my grandchild instill a powerful protective love so tight and secure that nothing could ever break it. And though there are ebbs and flows to the intensity of that love and sometimes the behavior is not what you love, the love it still there, just as powerful as ever.

My parents instill a heart wrenching love in me. I think of them and my heart just fills full to bursting with an ache that will never subside. To think of the love and energy that they have put into me for the last 46+ years without ever thought of a break. They do so much for me, and always have. My biggest cheerleaders, my biggest supporters, my biggest confidants. It terrifies me to think off this world, my world, without them. How would I ever survive? How could I make it though this trial without their love and support? I can’t imagine my world without Red and Jean in it.

When I think of Mike it’s a love that fills me to overflowing. He is my best friend, my lover, my heart and soul. He loves me when I am most unlovable and sees my beauty when I am sure there is none left. A simple man, he says what he thinks and does what he says. I trust him with my life, with my heart, with my entire world. My heart just flips when I see his smile and it stings when he is gone. My world is not whole without him. He makes me, my life, my universe, complete.

My brother just gets me. He’s been there through all those secret kid times and shattering adult times. He has seen me through sickness, health, marriage, divorce and heart busting parenting. He knows all my secrets, and he loves me anyway. His wife of 20+ years sends me her constant thoughts and prayers, and though they are 1000 miles away, I feel as if they are here with me always. And when we are together, I know I am safe and loved.

Girlfriends. Words just can’t describe them. They are the power of the universe. They keep everything going round and round. When you need them, they are there, whether it be to cheer you up or plot revenge. They are there, loving you, holding you, crying with you. Girlfriends have this uncanny unconditional love. They will be the first ones to tell you that outfit looks like crap, but the shoes, well, fantastic. Or that guy, maybe you should rethink that, but I’ll be here when he breaks your heart. Girlfriends are a gift from God. Irreplaceable in the hearts of women everywhere. I am so lucky to have so many wonderful girlfriends who fill my life. They make the world a better place because of their presence. I know that they make my world a better place, that is for sure.

My animals just give love. That’s all they do. They don’t judge or speak or expect anything but a kibble now and then, and in return, they give the unconditional love only a pet can bring. When they look at you, you are the center of their universe and no one is better than you. I am not joking when I say I aspire to be as wonderful as my dogs think I am. Those animals just love me. And when I am sick, they are with me by my side, caring for me, making sure I have the warmth of their company.

And although I just touted all the virtues of love, sadly there can be a darker side to love. A side that is so painful it would threaten to shred you into pieces. What can you do when you love someone so much and that love just isn’t enough? When, despite that love, you have to take a course of action that will break your heart in two? Well, I think that is when love sees you through anyway. Love will break you and heal you both. Where one is hurting, the others will come in by its side and make it whole. Don’t be afraid to reach out to those who love you and tell them what you need. Let them come beside you and comfort you and hold you and dry your tears. Let them be there for you as you would be there for them. For as much as love can be one-sided, it is so much better when it is reciprocal. Let it be shared. Let those in your life love you too.

And when life takes you where you might not want to go, hold out your hand, those you love are there just waiting there to grasp it.

All my love to you, always.
Patty