Thursday, July 9, 2009

Chemo and a pair of fabulous shoes.

Oh yeah, they are fabulous shoes. The greatest shoes I've ever owned. The type of shoes that people stop you in the store and say, wow, those are fabulous shoes. The brand name, even better..."Naughty Monkey" does it get any better? Fabulous shoes with a great name. I may lose my hair, I may throw up, I may be sick, emancipated or dying, but I will wear great shoes. Shoes never let you down, they always fit, are non-judgemental and make your legs look great. Shoes glorious shoes.

So, I had my second round of chemo today. God Bless Mike, he was with me, of course, and mom and dad stopped by to say hi. It was a little tough, mostly because I just hate to leave my life to go sit in that chair in that little room and know I am in a fight for my life. It makes it more real. I would much rather be going through my day, working, interacting with my friends and family, watching my cat totally freak out with an empty pill bottle skidding across the hardwood floors (its hilarious!). They also switched me up a little today and decided that rather than do the carbo and gemzar day 1 and just the gemzar day 8 they would split the carbo dose and give 1/2 day one and 1/2 day 8, so I had both again today. That sort of threw me for a loop since I had a plan today and it really messed my plan up, I didn't make it back to my meeting at noon and someone had to cover for me. I know Lisa didn't mind covering, but it is my life and with a sickness like this your control and freedom is systematically taken away from you. That's hard for a control freak like me; I'm sure there is a lesson in there. :-) But, I still was wearing fabulous shoes, so I looked great when I got that chemo.

So... I finally made it back to work had a minor meltdown and went on with my day. Felt pretty good and we (Rand) may have identified an individual at work who is willing to fill in for me should I have to go on disability. I am hoping this is an unnecessary exercise, but should we need it, I know we will all be better for it. And she will benefit from learning new skills, so I think in some weird way, we all win. Maybe God has a plan, ok, I'm sure he has a plan, I just may not like it.

Had a nice post chemo party at Bookwalters. Tina, Mel, Janice, Mindy, Lori and Kelly and Kristen happened to show up, and Kelly sprung for a bottle of protagonist. Oh yeah!! Great friends, a fine red wine and a few bags of chemo... and a pair of fabulous shoes. Not a bad day after all.