Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday on the Patio

It’s my favorite time of the week. The sounds of the quietly waking neighborhood surround me; bells on the collar of the kitten, sprinklers chattering, a distant lawnmower, dogs barking, laughter just over the fence, squirrels scampering in search of breakfast, birds chirping and flying overhead to unknown destinations. My senses are alive bringing in every detail; the smell of the flowers, their dazzling and colorful glory surrounding me, colors beyond words, bursting with life, teeming with abundance as they erupt out of their containers, spilling down the sides, sliding along the ground. They sing out to me. The smell of rich coffee tickles my nose, my mouth waters just thinking about how amazing it will taste. Even the buzz of the fly makes me smile, for it too is a creature in this world and God knows its purpose and its name. The pond murmurs tenderly as the water spits and spills and memories flood my mind of babbling brooks in distant places and camping as a child near the bitterly cold and fresh water of the Rocky Mountains.

I love Sunday mornings on my patio. It’s still cool and comfortable. The sun hasn’t had time to heat the air up yet. The day is quiet yet full of potential. The breeze gently caresses my skin bringing with it sounds of children already awake, enjoying the carefree summer. That too brings its own set of memories of summers past, as a child in Colorado, the thin crisp air of the mountains; as a young mother in Wyoming and all its small town glory; as a parent in Badger Canyon with horses and dogs and the freedom of country living.

I take it all in, trying to capture every single small detail. I don’t want to miss anything. For once this morning is gone, this instant is gone, I cannot capture it back, it is gone forever, just a memory caught in the winds of time. I want to make the most of each moment, eating them up like a juicy summer watermelon, savoring every last bite, letting the juice drip down my chin and stain my clothing with its exquisite remembrance.

Go and make the most of your day, taking delight in each moment, filling your life and your mind with joyous memories and experiences. A life, a day, a moment, well spent.