Monday, July 27, 2009

Where are you walking?


As promised, here is a picture of the amazing cake that Mindy made! Crazy! She could be a professional cake decorator. We'd better hold on to her at Kadlec! Jessie loved it and of course tried to grab it with his hands. We got this picture before he took off a few chunks of frosting and took a bite out of it. It was so fabulous and I am grateful for Mindy for taking SO much time to do this, I know it took a long time and alot of energy!

Deana is off to Seattle today. We had a wonderful day in Heppner yesterday, the delinquents went on a "ROAD TRIP!!" Fun was had by all, we laughed, we cried, we shared, we prayed. We found out that Deana really doesn't just have a one-butt kitchen, but a 7 butt kitchen designed just for prayers of the delinquents and junior delinquents. Keith and Deana are just the salt of the earth. People of great conviction and faith, they just are shining through all this. I am a babbling crying idiot, and they are just strong in their faith and their assurance that God will be glorified in all this. I could learn alot from Deana and Keith. My faith is strong, but the fear of seeing my friend go through this just tears my heart out! I want to be the only one in this club and don't want anyone else to have to join the cancer train. Its not fair!!! But, God bless Deana, she makes me stronger. She is calling me her Esther because I was where I needed to be years before she needed me to be there. I started in healthcare 7-1/2 years ago and it has been a huge help for not only me and my challenges, but it gave me the opportunity to help Deana when she needed it and for that I am so grateful. I am so honored I was able to help my friend, and hope I can continue to help and provide support. I can always keep praying, that is for sure.
They are on their way to Seattle, stopping to see their daughter Sarah at college on their way. The pre-op is tomorrow and the surgery is on Wednesday at Northwest Hospital in Seattle. Dr. Muntz is handling the surgery and he comes highly recommended. I've checked him out, of course, and hear that not only is he a brilliant surgeon, but he has a great personality. Wow, how amazing is that! So she is in good hands. Pray for safety, security, the hands of the surgeon, the peace that passes all understanding. That God permeates her very heart and soul and she finds healing and hope. I'll keep you posted.
My rash continues to stay away, but the steroids are a bit much to deal with. I seem to be either tired or wired, there is no in between! But, no rash, thank God!! I am still pretty tired when I get home and am finding the challenges of a three day work week to be slightly overwhelming. It doesn't appear that the workload has diminished at all, in fact it has probably increased since I am training Wendy. But I am confident it will be getter. We are in the busiest two weeks of the month, so by next week I'm hoping it will slow down enough to get Wendy a little more acclimated. She is doing such a great job but there is such a learning curve with the amount of years I've put in there. It will work out, but I have to admit I'm exhausted by the time I leave and feeling rather stressed out trying to get it all done. I am just doing the best I can and admitting, its NOT getting all done. And that is okay. I can only do what I can do, everything else will just have to wait. That is one of the lessons of this disease. I mean, what is truly important? Staying at work, or coming home to be with my family and rest appropriately? That is a rhetorical question. :-)
Donna Zulauf bought me the coolest gifts today. I got a pink t-shirt that says "Cancer, you messed with the wrong bitch." Which cracks me up, I love it and will wear it proudly. I also got a very special coffee mug with Rosie the Riveter on it and the saying I won't state here, but suffice it to say, its gets a certain message across! I love Donna!!
My friend Angela Ball's mother sent me a prayer shawl. I am so humbled. This person I don't even know, who doesn't know me, took the time to knit a shawl with each knot tied in prayer for me. As I put it around me I feel the heat of the prayers, the compassion of our Lord and His healing touch surround me. What a gracious and loving gift. I am truly overwhelmed.
God is so present in this disease. I know that sounds so weird, but He is in everything, the good and the bad. The service yesterday in Heppner was youth led, but Keith had a brief message asking the same questions he asked the youth in camp. Perhaps ponder your answers to these questions?
1) Are you willing to follow God? Even in opposition to the current culture?
2) Are you willing to be molded by God for the task He has in store for you? Would you wander in the desert for 40 years if God told you to? What task is He preparing your for?
3) Are you wiling to follow where God will lead you? Can you shut up, be silent and follow? (Near impossible for ME! I have a challenge in this one!)
and
4) Remember, remember, remember. What has He taught you so far? What has He already brought you through? What He has done for you before, He will do for you again. He has not failed you yet, and he isn't planning on failing you now.
What do you do next? Take the next step. It doesn't matter where you are and where God is, but if you are moving towards Him, you are in the right direction. just take another step, and another, and another... Now just look, you are walking in the right direction!
God bless!!