Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Choose Hope

One can never have too much hope. There isn't enough hope in the world and we need more hope in our daily lives. When I was in Heppner, Deana's 17 year old daughter, Erin had set this poem to music on her guitar and it brought tears to my eyes. Listen and learn:

Hope by Emily Dickinson
Hope is the thing with feathers

That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

-------------------

Hope asks nothing of us and gives us so much in return. No matter how severe the storm, hope, like the little bird, keeps us warm. Where is your hope? Do you keep it close to your heart? Do you protect it and nurture it and hold it in your soul?

Hope is the thing that is keeping me going right now. I have to admit I feel pretty yucky, good considering what they are doing to me, but sort of crappy considering how I would normally feel. So I hold on to that little bird. And that bird asks naught of me, but to keep believing in it. So I choose to believe. I chose to believe that this too shall pass and that God will see me through to a brighter tomorrow. I choose hope.