Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July!!

I so enjoyed my fourth of July with a BBQ at Mikes and the whole local family was there. Just before the BBQ I got to go swimming with Jessie, which was a slight bit problematic because he thinks he should be able to do it all by himself, whereas we know, he really DOES need some help! The "I do it" really shines through in him lately! We are going to get him some water wings so he can feel a little more independent and maybe go try again today. I can't really get in the water with my port scars so fresh, but I can still be there to have fun with him I also need to be careful in the heat and the sun, so I'll temper my enthusiasm. But it is hard, I mean how many first times do you get swimming with your grandson?!

The chemo hasn't really made me very sick. I was a little sick to my stomach the first day, and since then not too bad. One of the side effects is flu-like symptoms and I had that full force about 5am on the 4th of July. So, I took 1/2 a sleeping pill and went back to bed! That's one way to battle the achey flu! When I finally got up I have been battling fatigue. I just want to sleep. I slept late yesterday, then got up and had some juice from my new Jack LaLane Juicer (Wow, thanks Tina & Gary - I LOVE IT!) and a little fresh fruit and went back to bed where I slept all afternoon. After the BBQ I came home, watched a little Twilight Zone with Peyton (her favorite show) and dozed on and off on the couch. Then finally went to bed for real after "Terror at 20,000 feet" our favorite episode. Man, William Shatner was so young! Not the Denny Crane we have come to know and love. :-)

Not quite as tired today. Sitting and enjoying my back porch, which is one of my favorite Sunday morning activities. I love my backyard, the trees and my pots and pots of flowers overflowing with abundant color! I think its one of my favorite places in the world, to just sit here and enjoy the sights and sounds, with the water flowing from my fish fountain and the quiet sounds of the neighborhood. The neighborhood kids finally quit playing their obnoxious music at full volume after numerous complaints last year, so it is much better this year! Its so fun to watch the squirrels run around and terrorize Kyra (my dog), taunting her and talking to her before they run up the tree out of her reach. Really, quite amusing.

I love my life, there is so much to be grateful for. I have a happy home, an incredible family and friends that are simply amazing. I am determined to continue to enjoy these wonderful gifts for many many years to come!