Sunday, July 12, 2009

Day 11 - So far so Good - July 12th

A tattered and comfy bathrobe is the attire of the day. Since I've spent most of the weekend sleeping, the fact that I am actually awake is a great accomplishment! This round (given on Day 8) has made me only a little queasy but has made me very tired. The horrible rash continues, and I have to say I have never experienced anything quite like this. I suppose chicken pox would come close, except that it’s not going away. I finally broke down and started the steroids yesterday, anything to make this awful itching stop, but so far, all they have done is make me more tired. Mike and I are reading the side effects of prednisone, everything from mild mood swings to psychotic breaks. I’m hoping to stay on the mild end and have made Mike promise that he would rescue me before I have any major mental events (other than my normal “mental” episodes!). So, I’m apologizing in advance for any crummy moods I might be in during the next week. So, if you interact with me, don’t take offense, its not me!

I talked at length with Mitra (my ARNP who partners with Tom Rado, MD) and we discussed that I don’t really feel sick for being so sick. I mean, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. The doctors say I have a serious life-threatening disease, when do I get sick? This week will be the key to how I’m going to feel the rest of the treatment. I am going into the full effects of the chemo this week with both doses under my belt. Mitra said that the Carbo-Gemzar combo doesn’t have near the nausea effects that my previous AC Dose Dense did four years ago, and I have already found that to be very true. The biggest problem is that my blood counts will drop, which we will manage with shots. BUT, the other biggest problem is platelet counts drop and there is nothing we can do about that but to let them rebound. When the platelets are down I have to be careful of injury, and since I work a desk job, the biggest worry I have is not running into my desk and bruising my legs! Any of you who know me well know I bruise like a banana anyway, so this will be very challenging.

I’m excited because today I get to be nana. Elena and Houston went to the coast to celebrate her 22nd birthday and originally I was going to watch Jessie all weekend, but given the little health issue I’m having, we decided to split the weekend between the grandmas and Michelle (Elena’s mom) had him yesterday and she will bring him to me today around noon or so. Even tired, I am so excited. There is just nothing more uplifting that that little boy yelling “my nana” and running into my arms. He has outgrown his port-a-crib here so I can’t wait to show him his new “Lightning McQueen” sleeping bag, pillow and night light! He’ll stay the night and then we’ll take him to daycare tomorrow. Peyton will be here today to help out too, and mom, dad and Mike will be over for a BBQ later, so I’ll have plenty of help if I get too tired. But I just can’t give up this special time with him, how many chances do you get to be nana all day and night? He is truly one of the greatest joys in my life.

So, kick back, relax and enjoy your weekend. I know my floors need mopped and the bathrooms need cleaned, but they are so secondary to the time with my family and friends. I think we all know that relationships are more important, but sometimes they get put off to the side to our chores and activities. Relationships ARE everything. When the going gets tough, your friends and family will be there to help do those chores, so put your time with them above everything else. That is an investment in your future, its all about love and relationships, everything else is secondary.